Erratic battery meter and shutdowns after iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphone4sinwhite, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Iphone4sinwhite macrumors 6502

After upgrading my wife's iphone 5 to iOS 7.0.4 the phone will shut itself off at about 23% battery charge. It does this pretty consistently even after multiple reboots. Additionally, when plugging the phone in and restarting it, the battery meter jumps to 74%. This behavior is very strange as the battery lasted all day long with an accurate meter while on iOS 6 a week ago.

Is this behavior typical of 7.0.4? I'm hesitant to replace the battery as it worked as expected a week ago.

2. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

restore, set up as new phone

3. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

Will everything still move over from iCloud? The device has been backed up to iCloud since installing the iOS 7.

4. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

iCloud storage and backup overview

5. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

If the phone is restored and setup as a new phone, then none of the iCloud data is moved over. I assume this would instead be done by signing into iCloud when the setup is compete.

Can a restore be done without iTunes?

6. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

This has been happening to both mine and my girlfriend's iPhone 5 for the past week or so. When it shuts down you can usually wait a few minutes, give it a hard reset (hold home and power button) and it will turn back on, still showing the same battery percentage as before. Most of the time it will then run down to 1% normally.

I restored my phone as new and it did not correct this.

7. pazgb macrumors newbie

There are tons of threads on battery issues with iPhone 5 after IOS 7 upgrade.

Even check the apple support forum too...

This is my opinion on this topic because I'm also experiencing it.

Either the iPhone 5 battery doesn't last as long as Apple intended by either bad manufacturing on the battery or IOS 7 is causing havoc on the charging cycles. I even read an interesting article about IOS 7 possibility doing more than 1 full cycle when plugged in for a while at 100%. Apple even states in the 7.1 beta for better performance for older iphone/ipad models.

I used ibackupbot to monitor my full charge capacity over the past week, mine slowly decreases and I'm now down to 72% of the full battery charge when I charge up my phone to 100%.

Alot of us that got the iPhone when it first released are now over a 1 year and its past the apple warranty. Apple can either do a good faith and replace your battery/phone for free or ask you to pay $80.

My nearest apple store is 2 hours away and I'm not sending it in for replacement because I would be without a phone for a week or two. so I went the route of buying a replacement battery kit on eBay for around $13. Just be very careful trying to do it yourself, there are tons of step-by-steps/videos if you want to take a look before going the route of replacing the battery on your own.

8. Prognut macrumors newbie

Just had my wife's 4s replaced due to this issue. Genius ran diagnostics and said battery was fine, but could be the "power management chip/module" or something like that. Said this wouldn't come up through diagnostics.

So far her battery usage seems much better.

Find it odd that this problem would show up with ios7 upgrade. Coincidence? Not sure. As long as the phone operates normally I guess.

9. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you have AppleCare on the phone?

10. Prognut macrumors newbie

Erratic battery meter and shutdowns after iOS 7?

She got the phone last December and had two days left on warranty... :)

11. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there anyway to tell when a phone was first activated on the phone itself?

12. SchuettS macrumors 6502

My wife's 5 has been doing this, shutting down early. She brought it to an apples store. They said battery is fine just do a dfu restore. Did that and same issue. Two weeks later, her warranty is now expired. Great.

13. CPx macrumors 6502

They replaced the battery or the whole phone?

14. Prognut macrumors newbie

The whole phone.

15. Prognut macrumors newbie

I'm not quite sure how they know. Probably the date came from the carrier (Rogers in Canada). The phone was activated at the carrier's store when we picked it up.

You could either call your carrier or Apple to find out?

----------

That sucks. I guess it depends on the store. When the guy at the store was running diagnostics I mentioned I had tried the restore route (didn't specify the type of restore) and it was still acting up. The only restore I did was delete and setup with iCloud backup. I really didn't want to do a dfu or any restore where she would lose her data.

Have you tried getting the phone replaced after warranty expired? You may have a case where you did what they told you and still have the same issue that you first reported before warranty expired.

16. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

I just took my wife's iPhone 5 in, one day past Apple Care today. They tried to replace the battery and then decided to replace the entire phone for free.