Erratic/dying battery

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zacl87, May 5, 2010.

1. zacl87 macrumors member

My battery was functioning perfectly up until today, the last time I looked at coconut battery it was around 95% capacity with like ~500 cycles. Then today it's struggled to hold 2 hours of charge, coconut battery now says 57% capacity.

The strange this is, earlier today it seemed to have gone back to normal, I looked at CB and capacity was back up to 95%. I tried calibrating it and it's all over the shop. About 2 minutes ago I received the 9 min low battery warning, now it's plugged in and says it only has to charge for 49mins to regain a full charge.

I guess it sounds like it's dying, it's at 616 cycles which is fair enough. Lately (last 4/5 months) I've been keeping it plugged in most of the time though which I hadn't before and I'm thinking that's perhaps killed it faster.

Anyway is there anything else I can do before replacing it? Or a more comprehensive way to evaluate its health?

Cheers.

2. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Apple will replace the battery if it goes below 80%, if you are under a certain number of cycles.

3. zacl87 thread starter macrumors member

Just had a look and it's <300. Oh well, 600ish is a lot and I can get a battery pretty cheap off ebay anyway.
    cheers

4. zacl87 thread starter macrumors member