Erratic trackpad behaviour with high network load

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Soilage, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Soilage macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

First time Mac Mini owner here, and loving it. I have limited experience with Snow Leopard and now Lion, so bear with me...

When I copy a large file from my NAS (so it takes more than a few seconds), I experience stuttering/erratic movement when I use the trackpad. It's actually impossible to use for the duration of the file transfer.

Is this a Mac Mini, Lion or just a plain bluetooth issue? Is there anything to do about it?

As a bonus question, I have sometimes noticed when downloading large files, the temperature goes up to 90C - with no CPU activity at all.
    Is this - again - normal behaviour?

Thanks!

edit: Failing to specify that I own a Mac Mini 2011; i7 2.7 with 8 gb and a Magic Trackpad

2. The-Pro macrumors 65816

i know what you mean with the erratic trackpad behavior. Sometimes the curser goes nuts, stutters jumps across the screen (magic trackpad connected to MBP) I haunt noticed under what circumstances it does it though.

3. Mr.C macrumors 601

Sorry I can't help with your issue. I had a similar problem though with my Bluetooth Magic Mouse yesterday when downloading multiple files. The cursor started acting jerky and was hard to control. I've never had this problem before when I was using my old Mini with Snow Leopard. I'm not really sure what was causing the issue. Whilst not a major issue it was none the less annoying.

4. Vermifuge macrumors 6502

Vermifuge

I have an iTunes server and any time a music video comes up I see the same problem. I have the same setup that you have.

5. indg macrumors 6502

are you using finder for the file transfer? snow leopard finder had similar issues while transferring files over the network, it would cause the mouse cursor to be jumpy/laggy. try restarting finder or using a third-party app like pathfinder. the problem comes and goes in lion, so it's hard to pinpoint what exactly causes this.

6. Soilage thread starter macrumors newbie

Just did a bit more testing:

1. Installed 10.7.1 and used Finder to mount and copy
    Same erratic behaviour as before.​
    2. Using a webbased filebrowser on my NAS with both Chrome and Safari
    This actually seems worse than using the finder.. I even managed to get a "Lost connection", followed by a "Connected" on the Trackpad.
    3. Using Pathfinder as you (indg) suggested
    It was there, but I had to "look harder" for it..​

I don't know if it's me seeing things, but when a transfer progressbar/window is foremost, the trackpad movement seems worse.

7. japtor macrumors regular

Are you guys seeing stuttering using wifi for your network connection? In my experience it can mess with Bluetooth connections while transferring stuff.

8. Soilage thread starter macrumors newbie

I have wi-fi disabled and only using ethernet, so it's not affecting me in my case.

In the meantime I have searched around, and it's pretty easy to find a truckload of similar posts.
    I find it safe to say, that's not a Mac Mini issue at all. Sounds unlikely that it's even Lion when people had the exact same problems in SL.