Erratic USB behavior with keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bobbi Flekman, May 19, 2009.

1. Bobbi Flekman macrumors regular

Lately my keyboard is acting strange when I insert my iPod. The iPod gets connected, then disconnects, and connects again. This happens about three times and a warning about Low USB power appears on screen. These days I insert the iPod in the USB hub and there are no problems, but accidentally I put it in the keyboard and got reminded again with this issue.
    My iMac is about 1.5 years old, so it might be some sort wear, but other things (like my external Audio/MIDI device) simply works on them. Anyone familiar with this behavior? Time to get a new keyboard?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

This always happened on my Apple keyboard's USB drives. IIRC Apple recommends that you use the USB ports on the back of the computer to sync your iPod, as it can't draw enough power from the ones in the keyboard (which is why you're getting the low-power message).

3. Bobbi Flekman thread starter macrumors regular

Weird. I always put it in the keyboard's USB without any problem. Just lately (the last three months or so) I got these connect/disconnect goings-on. As I said I put it in the hub and forgot about it, until a few days ago when I accidentally put it in the keyboard as it is way more handy than the hub.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

plug it directly into the computer, not via the keyboard or any other devices - it cant supply enough power!