Error 1013 while installing 4.2.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by duelingdragons, Nov 22, 2010.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

My phone (IP4) was previously jailbroken on 4.1, and when I went to install 4.2.1 tonight, I got an error 1013.

I can't restore either, I get the same error.

I used TinyUmbrella to kick my phone out of recovery mode, but the phone just restarts and then goes back to the "Connect to iTunes" screen.

Any ideas? :\

2. tgarson macrumors newbie

I have the exact problem, almost literally. I was JB on 4.1 with limera1n and used TinyUmbrella to backup my SHSH. I guess I'm just an impatient and/or possibly retarded but wanted to update to 4.2.1 in the mean time and now I'm caught in an endless Error 1013 loop, unable to restore.

3. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

4. tgarson macrumors newbie

That was the problem for me, did a search on twitter and immediately found quite a few other people with the same problem. First result I came up with unfortunately was in spanish, but was still able to arrive at the same conclusion, commenting out the erroneous entry to my hosts file.

http://www.applenext.com/2010/11/error-1013-actualizando-el-iphone/

All is well again.

5. jlian macrumors newbie

I also have this problem. So is it not possible to upgrade while preserving the baseband at this moment?

6. benjaminwood macrumors newbie

I would also like to know this. I'm having the same issues, but I don't want to loose my ability to unlock. As I understand it, if I comment out the gs.apple.com line- itunes will get its authorization to update the bassband and I'll be up the creek without a paddle (for give the dated expression). :D

7. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

If this is true (you want to keep unlock capability) then I don't know why you are even bothering with an upgrade prior to the release of new jailbreak tools for 4.2.1. Sit tight and be patient. Amazing.

8. ZipZap macrumors 601

I dont believe tiny umbrella actually changes your hosts file (you do), but this is generally the problem when you see 1013.

9. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Tiny Umbrella does, actually, change the hosts file on your computer, and on top of that, a recent version change saw a feature added that leaves the hosts file entry to Saurik's/Cydia's server(s) in your hosts file. That is to say, the gs.apple.com Cydia redirection is left active in the hosts file, not commented out.

The error 1013 is a baseband failed upgrade error, and is expected when using Tiny Umbrella to do a firmware update/restore.

10. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

TU does redirect the hosts file while active.

11. bripab007 macrumors 6502

As I mentioned it my previous post, the latest version of TU also leaves the redirect active in the hosts file, upon exiting TU. This is new behavior.

12. benjaminwood macrumors newbie

Well, somebody has to try it. I don't depend on the unlock, just want to be unlockable for resale value. For the record, I wasn't just blindly updating. There were people on the Tiny Umbrella blog comments as well as on twitter confirming that they had successfully update to 4.2.1 without the baseband update. As it turns out, they were lying so that others (like me) would try it and report back. Fortunately for me, itunes wasn't able to update the baseband... you just get stuck in a restore loop. @notcom (of TU) basically reaffirmed the things that myself and a couple others had reported on his blog.

I don't understand why people like you feel the need to make comments like this. Either reply with something helpful or stay out of it. Or at least be kind when you chime in. Amazing.

13. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

ah sweet, just posted a reply in another thread about this. Glad I found this one.