Error 1015 trying to update 3GS to 4.2.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ocalderon, Feb 21, 2011.

1. ocalderon macrumors newbie

Hi to all, this is my first post (and i hope the first of lot more). A main reason to join this forum is to lear more about iphone jailbreaking and things like that, because some weeks ago i bought an used iPhone 3GS jailbreaked, it had firmware 4.1. The problem is, that now that new version of greenpois0n comes out, i wanna to update firmware to 4.2.1 and jailbreak it.

So, i started on itunes (last version, under windows XP) trying to update firmware. I saw that itunes downloaded the ipsw file on this path:

Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\juana\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

and after that the upgrade started. When it "finish" i get a message that an error ocurred and that the update could not be done, the error code is 1015. So, in the information tab of my iphone on itunes doesn't show anything and it recommends a restore. So i tried to restore it pressing the button Restore, but when restore "finishs", it gaves me the same error 1015.

As i said before, i don't know why this happens, i'm a newbie in all this iPhone jailbreaking stuff, so i'm asking for your help. Thanks in advance

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Download TinyUmbrella and use it to kick the phone out of recovery mode.

3. ocalderon thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks, i gonna try. But, after that, my iphone won't be in recovery mode. That means in that moment can i try again to update firmware to 4.2.1 on itunes? I ask you that before i found a post where a guy recommends this:

Code:
    1. put iPhone on DFU mode
    	2. open iTunes
    	3. you will recive message, that your iphone is in recovery mode
    	4. shift + restore, DOWNGRADE TO 4.1 FW
    	5. wait for restore, then will be error 1015
    	6. your iPhone will in Recovery Mode, download Tinyumbrella and kick out from recovery mode.
    	7. Then put again to DFU mode, restore with 4.2.1

Thanks

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Download iReb from ih8sn0w.com and use it to cure the 1015 error.

5. ocalderon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all for answer. Unfortunately it still doesnt work. First of all i have to tell you that i don't have the SHSH so i can't use the method provided by maturola. I tried with iReb to cure my iphone 3GS and appears a sucessful message, then i go to itunes and Shift + Restore, i choose the ipsw of 4.2.1 (my phone had 4.1) but it doesn't work. After that i tried all the same process but with firmware 4.1 but it also doesn't work :( , always appears error 1015, i don't know what to do.

Regards.

6. ocalderon thread starter macrumors newbie

An update about my situation. After some failed tries, i use tinyumbrella (i've used before without sucess) to quit recovery mode and it starts, but right now is in the screen where i only can make emergency calls, i inserted a sim card but doesnt work, and in itunes it appears that sim card carrier is not supported. I tried passing greenpois0n jailbreak but it doesn't work.

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Was your Iphone unlocked before you update?

My concern is that if you have a 4.1 with Ipad baseband installed so it can be unlocked and used with other sim card. You can only upgrade with customs firmware from that point on.