Error -10810

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yayaba, Apr 2, 2008.

1. yayaba macrumors 6502

Has anyone got this before?

I get it from running the iPhone Simulator from within Xcode over and over again. Sooner or later I get an error message from Xcode saying it can't launch the simulator and when I get the error message, I am unable to launch ANY application at all that isn't already open.

For example, if I have Firefox open, I can still use Firefox but any app that isn't open already, if I try to open it I get an error message stating that the application cannot open and I get the error -10810 message.

Only way I can fix it is to logout and log back in but even then it's flaky. I have to reboot my entire machine.

2. yayaba thread starter macrumors 6502

From googling around, seems to be that my system can't launch anymore threads. I'll try seeing if iPHone simulator is causing this next time I see it and I'll see if I can kill the threads.

3. Dracko22 macrumors newbie

I have been working with the iphone simulator and have been having the exact same problem. I have been looking everywhere and can't find a straight answer. If you figure out a solution please let me know. Thanks!

4. RayD macrumors newbie

New MAC user here. I get that error often and I don't own an iPhone. So this is not iPhone related. When I see this Error 10810 no application on the system will run.

Looking forward to an answer. :eek:

5. maypeter macrumors newbie

Error -10810

I get this all the time since my last system update. It can occur at any time, with any piece of software when I try to open it up. I can see no rhyme nor reason for it. It affects different programs at different times. I resolve the problem by logging out and logging in again. I can then open the piece of software that was getting the error message.

6. krazykiefer macrumors newbie

It's driving me CRAZY!!!

I get it when either Safari or Firefox is open. Then I have to shut them down to start up any other application. Makes my life miserable :mad:

7. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I Did a search for this error. There isn't even a listing for it.

Is there any other wording/message with it? Primary program running when it happens?

8. BoyRacer macrumors member

I got this error for the first time a few minutes ago. Yesterday i noticed the OS (Leopard 10.5.6) exhibiting behaviour that may be related:

The entire OS slows to a crawl: apps take forever to launch, input stops momentarily when typing in an app (Mail, Safari, Firefox, TextEdit, EverNote) but type-ahead is still active (so whatever I type eventually appears no matte how long the pause)

When this happened for the first time yesterday I did not get the -10810 error like just now but the rest of the behaviour was the same. I restarted my MacBook Pro and things were fine.

Some facts/details about my scenario:
    - I left my Mac running Vuze 4.x (latest version) for a long time before each of these weird slowdowns. Based on my experience with running Vuze, I think this is likely to be the culprit.
    - I'm only running a few apps at the same time: Evernote, Mail, Safari, Vuze, however I have the latest version of these running: Intego VirusBarrier X5, FoxMarks for Safari (beta).

The Foxmarks beta is the only variable (other than Vuze) that seems likely to be involved - I've been running this setup for months without such a drastic problem - though I've experienced similar slowdowns while using Vuze during that time and longer.

Are you guys using Vuze, by any chance? Or Foxmarks beta for Safari?

Thanks!

9. celavi macrumors newbie

hello

first time poster :)

i'm getting this error since today but i'm not using vuze, safari or the foxmarks plugin in firefox. running leopard 10.5.6 on a macbook alu.
    i had a fresh boot this morning since my dock hung last night and i had to power it off holding the button, but it seemed all right. currently there's not much running: itunes, firefox, adium

someone more info on this error?

update: i'm watching activity monitor right now. coconutwifi has 100 threads in a couple of minutes. maybe this is causing the error?

update: removed version 3.0 beta and replaced with version 2.0. i now have 4 - 5 threads and not several hundred. sent a mail to the developer.

@OP: take a look into your activity monitor. maybe some app you are running is having the same issue as coconutwifi 3.0 beta

10. ai4281 macrumors newbie

I got this error literally just right now, trying to open iTunes. I closed uTorrent, and it was fine :)

11. celavi macrumors newbie

you can have a look into activity monitor if it's really utorrent that is opening so many cpu threads.

12. cmosher macrumors newbie

Error -10810

Got this error today for the first time. I'm not running anything similar to what was posted above. What I was doing was watching a live webcast all day, 6+ hours. Then when I quit out of Firefox I couldn't reopen, -10810. Nothing else would open either, Safari, etc.
    I then read this post on my other computer and saw that another app may cause the problem, I had my usual internet account open, Preview, and my new version of Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro. Acrobat may have been the problem, yet still unsure. Doesn't seem as if any solid answers have come about from all these posts. Anyone knows whats going on???

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Anyone ever figure out a fix? This is driving me nuts. I can only have two apps running at once, if I try to launch a third, I get the error. It seems to go away when I reboot, but then comes back at random. Doesn't matter which two apps.

14. Raymen macrumors member

Raymen

Really, Is it the system struggling?

I don't think it's a computing power thing that makes the system struggle so. I have an '08, 2.8, 8 Core Mac Pro and I'm getting the error too. Sure I have a lot open, about 20 apps, some of which quite heavy usage (reason, logic..) and some doing more than one thing (preview, open office, finder, pages), and 12 spaces open with 7 currently with things nesting in them running. However I have a CPU usage most of the time of lower than 10%. (I barely hit 50% at the worst of times).

The only thing I can think, certainly with my system, the memory allocation is throttling the amount of things that can be open, as some of the memory has to be left free for caching and data fetching... and so on. I have 70% usage at the current time according to my istat. Perhaps a little forethought, or a little warning that the memory was getting low... hang on no, then the O/S would be more like one named after a wooden frame holding a certain clear silicon based material. Couldn't have that, I'd rather sear out my own eyeballs ta..

I think it's time to upgrade from the tiny 2GB I'm running at the mo... after all I can squeeze in enough of the darn stuff :rolleyes:. Crucial here I come... Pehaps others having the problem may check there memory usage... just a thought? I certainly don't seem be using any of the programs that seem to cause issues, and I'm not clever enough to think of anything more ingenious.

15. hugoniot macrumors newbie

My wife got this error tonight. I noticed a few key pieces of information, but no fix yet. First, when I switched into my account, I can open any application,
    but switch back to her account (I never log out either of us) and she still can't open anything. This tells me that the error is specific to just her account.

Next, when I open a Finder window in Cover Flow view, it is unable to show me any icons.

I used my own account to repair the permissions, but that didn't help anything.

16. meagain macrumors 68030

I have the error. I can't even open Activity Monitor OR Disk Utility because of it. Everywhere I search, I see a totally different response as to how to fix it. On Apple forums, someone puts up a link to it that's six years old, 5 pages long and it's about writing scripts and such.

17. nemE macrumors newbie

nemE

Hate to necro a thread that's over a year old, but I'm getting the same issue.

The only way I got finder to launch again is by manually forcing it to relaunch through the terminal. To save time, I made a shell script.

1. Open Up a terminal. Do this through the dock.
    Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal.​

2. The terminal will start at the home folder (/Users/yourusername). Make a new file called "finder.sh"
    touch finder.sh​

3. Time to edit it.
    nano finder.sh​

4. Paste the following into the window (Mac + C, Mac V works):

#!/bin/sh
    killall Finder
    /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder &​

5. Save and exit. This will bring you back to the a terminal prompt.

ctrl + o
    hit enter
    ctrl + x​

6. Time to chmod the file to make it executable

chmod 777 finder.sh​

7. ...and you're done. Run it by opening up a terminal and using this command:
    ./finder.sh​

Please remember that this is a quick fix and shouldn't be depended on to be a magic bullet.

If this doesn't work for you, either post here or PM me.