error 1309 GRRR

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zipper1022, Jun 28, 2007.

1. zipper1022 macrumors regular

hello

i just got a 500gb mybook pro from wd, and i went to copy a 20.2 gb movie file and it gets to the "end" of the transfer and says transfer error -1309....

ive gotten that once before, im going to assume its becasue the file is so large, what do i do?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

How are the source and destination drives formatted?

3. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

i dont know, the source is standard what ccomes on the macbook pro, and the destination is formatted however western digital sends it...

the files seem to be gettign stuck at 4gb, that really sucks...

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

4 GB? then the new drive is probably formatted as FAT32 (DOS/Windows).

You'll probably want to start over in Disk Utility and reformat it to the Mac Extended format which can handle the large files and will also behave more reasonably with Spotlight.

If you will need to transfer files between a Mac and Windows machines, you can partition the drive and format one partition as FAT32, since both systems can read and write to that (but with those file size limitations).

5. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

well i dont plan on transfering files between mac and pc, but if i reformat it to mac extneded will that mean that i can never transfer files to a pc?

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Right, Windows doesn't have any have native support for the Mac format (HFS+). There is a driver from MediaFour called MacDrive that will take care of that, if it ever becomes a real problem. You can also use one of those Linux live CD things, which typically have HFS+ support, to do the transfers in a pinch. (& of course, you can always transfer files over a network without worrying about what format is on the other end, or use DVDs/CDs, etc.)

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

in short the answer is yes but with caveats.

It means that the drive will not show up as readable on a windows PC that doesn't have MacDrive installed on it. This means you can get around the fact that it wont show up but means you must be able to install software on the pc you want to transfer the files to and also means you will have to purchase MacDrive.

You can always transfer files by another method, such a network, cd/dvd or flash drives etc.

8. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

okay i read my manual flor the drive and it confirmed taht is ms-dos formatted and has a max of 4gb for an individual file transfered,

now i want to reformat becasue i need to be able to transfer files larger then 4gb. i went into disk utility and it had a bunhc of options for the mac os extended and i also dont know how to actually do the reformatting...

what format do i want for it?
    the choices were

Mac OS extended (Journaled)
    Mac OS extended
    Mac OS extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)
    Mac OS extended (Case-sensitive)

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Mac OS extended (Journaled)
    Mac OS extended
    Mac OS extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)
    Mac OS extended (Case-sensitive)

Mac Os extended (Journaled) is the file system that apple uses by default on the internal hard drives. It is said to be more reliable than just Mac OS extended. The Case-sensitive variants of the above can cause problems with applications and such.