Error 14 when trying to restore to iPad iOS 5 beta 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bigcat.101, Jul 12, 2011.

1. bigcat.101 macrumors newbie

I've activated my UDID. Have iTunes 10.5 beta 3. I'm already running beta 1. It worked fine when i restored the first time to beta 1. Help? :confused:

2. reznor9 macrumors member

reznor9

I'm having the same issue. Looking for a solution myself

3. G0lfYankee, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

G0lfYankee macrumors newbie

Sigh

Same problem here. Error 14 when trying to restore my iPad to the Beta3 using iTunes 10.5 beta3. iTunes is no bloody help either, it just directs me to the Apple FAQs, which tell me to "reboot my computer blah blah blah".

I wish iTunes would have a proper index of error codes so I could find out the problem. "Error 14" is damned unhelpful.

After seaching Google for a solution, one article claims "error 14" means you've bricked your iDevice. For keeps. I rather hope that's not true, I was growing fond of my iPad. I'm still looking for a solution ...

4. joshh20 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same exact issue, I know that to upgrade to iOS Beta 3 you are supposed to upgrade your iPad with iTunes Beta 2, it actually says that in the release notes, but I'm not having much luck, either. :confused:

5. G0lfYankee, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

Solution found

I've discovered the problem and found the solution.

There are multiple corrupt copies of the iOS5 beta 3 firmware drifting about the interwebs. iTunes falsely verifies the firmware as being intact in the initial extraction phase, but comes unstuck when it tries to install it to the device, producing error 14.

You can download a non-corrupted version of the beta 3 at http://imzdl.com/ via direct download or torrent. I've now installed iOS5 beta 3 on my iPad 1 without issue, using a 747 MB copy of iOS (compared with the corrupt 765 MB file).

6. bigcat.101 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the site I originally downloaded the beta from. :( Congrats on the fix for you though...

7. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Did you try downloading it from the Developer's Website? That's the only place you should be downloading it from.

8. iOS5downloader macrumors newbie

Solution

Phew... had this issue the whole day... :mad: tried two computers, different USB ports, cables, de- and reinstalled all Apple soft multiple times... nothing. Error 14 all the time... :mad:

Yes, it turned yout to be a corrupt firmware file! :rolleyes: I don't have my own developer account, so I can't download it directly from Apple... I got it from imzdl.com (direct download, didn't try the torrent) and this file is corrupt!!!

But there's NO "good" 747 MB copy and a "corrupt 765 MB file"... the file size is 747 MB in both cases... "765.374 KB" is just the number in Windows Explorer (in kilobytes)!!

I even found a 405 MB file somewhere on the net... don't bother downloading it, the right size *is* 747 MB.

The exact file size is 783.742.408 Bytes - for both the good and the corrupt file! But the difference got visible when I did an md5 checksum comparison between the different files I got...

Wrong: 133a475a66ea391b52de0b5895303475
    Good: 17cb772ab6770635c4ec32c57ac0f6f4

I don't have an "official" number to compare with, I can just assure the ipsw files with the first md5 sum didn't work for me in many attempts, whereas the other file worked like a charm in the first attempt, so I declare this as the "good" file/md5 hash. :)

Ok, and now for sure you want to know where to get the "good" file... here it is: http://sfp254.mydownloader.net/24596583/423866/iPad1,1_5.0_9A5259f_Restore.ipsw

I hope somebody with a decent uplink uploads it to other hosters as well, or shares it by torrent... to get rid of the omnipresent corrupt imzdl.com version. :(

9. joshh20 macrumors newbie

Thank you so much, I downloaded the .ipsw from imzdl.com too, and just like you said, I got the exact same checksum that you got for your bad one. I have an abhorrently slow internet connection, so I will have to wait until tomorrow to download using the link that you gave, but since it worked for you, I don't see why I couldn't at least give it a shot. I will let you guys know if it works for me once I get the new .ipsw.

10. mamados macrumors newbie

hi i have the same problem and i try to open the link that you give us and it doesnt open nothing the page is white... mybe the link is bad

11. bigcat.101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Same problem. Link = blank page.

12. iOS5downloader macrumors newbie

Hm, awkward... other ipsw files uploaded by the same person are still working... this one no longer :(

I tried to upload my "good" file to megaupload, but they perform are check just on the file name (and maybe file size), the upload finished within seconds (!), and when I dowloaded it again, it was the file with the WRONG md5 sum!

So now I zipped the file and it is currently uploading... but will still take 1.5 hours or so. Will post the link here.

13. iOS5downloader macrumors newbie

Ok, as promised, here is it:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NINM9N0F

The file is actually zipped to convince Megaupload that it is a new file... so you have to unzip it (NOT just rename it to .ipsw).

You can check the md5 sum after unzipping to compare with the hashes posted here...

14. mamados macrumors newbie

thank you so much! now i have my ipad with ios 5 beta 3

15. iOS5downloader macrumors newbie

Ok, so that's the final evidence that the other iPad1 iOS 5 beta 3 firmware file is the cause of the "error 14" problem...

I wonder what's the reason... iTunes doesn't complain about an invalid checksum or so, and I'm pretty sure the file is checked... and error 14 is related to USB problems?! I think it could be that Apple released a wrong file once, or it didn't include the iPad 3G models or so...?

16. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

That's the risk you people are taking when you are trying unreleased iOS. I have no idea why people would jump of beta iOS unless you are dev. You deserve this because if you were to get it from Apple directly then you won't be having any issue.

17. bigcat.101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! Problem solved. :cool:

18. joshh20 macrumors newbie

I partly agree with you, but you don't need to be going around and trolling on threads. If people want to test the iOS 5 Betas, then they should be able to.

19. G0lfYankee macrumors newbie

Why might we upgrade?

Ah yes, but you're forgetting, Apple are moving all the MobileMe services to iCloud. Which means the previously premium @me.com email domain with relatively few claimed addresses will have it's doors flung open to the public with the official release of iOS 5.

In the mean time, they have closed new free accounts to the public with the exception of? .... yep you guessed it: the iOS5 betas. I can claim my free @me.com email address via the iOS 5 beta 3 settings App, by logging into iCloud with my Apple ID. THAT is the primary reason people are scrambling to install this beta.

Also, I'd rather like to see how smoothly the new OS is likely to run on my last generation hardware and which "revolutionary" features Apple are benevolently excluding from my iPad 1 to try and make me upgrade. So far: 5 finger fast App switching gestures will be an iPad 2 exclusive. So, bugger. I was rather enjoying that on 4.3.2.

20. G0lfYankee, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

Ah I see. I'm not sure what an md5 checksum is, so the file size was the only parameter I could measure to differentiate the files. I've seen several sizes of ispw for iOS 5. I wasn't trying to suggest that there were only two, and the 765MB one was the corrupt one, just that they were clearly not two copies of the same file.

I spent hours trying to isolate the problem and (falsely) assumed that since iTunes verified the file, it couldn't have been the cause of error 14. Only once I had decided it was the ispw itself that was corrupt could I actually make some progress in fixing the problem.

Clearly iMZDL is hosting some dud files alongside good ones, and perhaps it's device specific as to which site hosts your non-corrupted ispw. My experience is that the torrent link on iMZDL for the iPad 1 (Wi-Fi 16GB) beta 3 ispw is a good link to a working file, and it fixed my error 14. My advice to people who are still facing error 14 is that it is definitely the ispw, and that if you've downloaded a new ispw only to get error 14 again, download another different ispw again. Eventually you'll find a good copy.

This is a strange issue. I've never encountered this corrupt file problem before beta 3. I'm not surprised people are tearing their hair out trying to find a solution, especially if they've already tried re-downloading the ispw only to unknowingly have re-downloaded a corrupt copy. It's frustrating.

21. joshh20 macrumors newbie

Sorry about the delay, but the link does in fact work, and now that Beta 4 is out, I guess you can just download that instead, or update Over-the-Air.

22. joshh20 macrumors newbie

If you are having problems updating to Beta 5, then back up your iPad and then go into settings and choose erase all content and settings and then you should be able to install Beta 5. You can download it from imzdl.com, don't worry, this time I checked to make sure that the .ipsw wasn't corrupt, it should work fine.

23. joshh20 macrumors newbie

Beta 6 should work Over-the-Air, and this time you shouldn't have to erase anything.

24. joshh20 macrumors newbie

25. joshh20 macrumors newbie

iOS 5 has now been officially released! Have fun guys!