Error 1600 and 21

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by themagicman00, Dec 27, 2011.

1. themagicman00 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Keep getting itunes error 1600 when trying to upgrade with pwn DFU and error 21 when trying to upgrade with restore mode. Can not figure how can I upgrade to 5.01 from 5.0. Any ideas? I
    Tried 2 computers, no luck.

2. harold1 macrumors newbie

hey i have exactly the same problem except I'm trying to go from 4.1 to 5.01. iphone 4, latest version of itunes and OSX, not sure if it makes any difference but my device is jailbroken

3. NickCapz macrumors newbie

NickCapz

Error 1600 and 21

I had the same issue today both 1600 and 21 error. I got so mad I gave up. I came back a few hours later. I ran Bootcamp on my Mac (windows 7) I use that side for pc games... so for ***** and giggles i downloaded iTunes and restored both my phone. iPhone 4 CDMA 4.2.7 to 5.0.1 no problems at all then I restored my 3gs 4.1 to 5.0.1. ...your best bet try a different computer or delete iTunes and reinstall it. best of luck! :apple:

4. harold1 macrumors newbie

OK This worked for me:

First step was to find the version of ios that i was on
    Settings> General>About (or whatever its called)
    Download the stock software from this mirror that matches what you have http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

During the restore I got error 1600. I think it has something to do with my hosts file being edited at some point. Click on finder Go> type in the box"/etc/" no quotes. Copy the "hosts" file to desktop, open with textedit. if at the bottom you have a line with ending with gs.apple.com I believe thats the problem, put a "#" at the beginning before the ip address. That sets that line to be ignored and no 1600 error (if youre on a windows box, use google to help u find the hosts file

Use itunes to restore iphone to restore software. Plug in iphone hold alt and click on restore, select the ipsw file that you just downloaded.

Should go through the process restoring you to stock ios. if you get stuck in recovery use tinyumbrella to kick you.

then restore your back up when the phone reboots so you have all your messages and phone numbers ets. Sync again, but dont allow the media or apps, just slow down the process later.

Then use itunes to update to ios5.01 as normal.

Good luck

Dont forget to Jailbreak using latest redsnow and install a siri port

----------

Cool that prob means the hosts file was somehow messing it up, as it would have been Mac side.

guess you can skip the part with downloading 4.1 or in that guys case 5.0.

5. themagicman00 thread starter macrumors member

Want to follow up. I was able to restored my iphone by deactivating Tiny Umbrella Advance options (set hots to cydia on exit). Once I did that I was able to upgrade (stock) to 5.01. I guess if in the future I want to download to 5.01 with my SH ticket, then I would need it.
    good luck.

6. ajohansson macrumors regular

SO funny with everyone is upgrading today cuz of the JB there are all sorts of these posts on the net. The same thing happened to me and whats even more funny is Tinyumbrella warned me about this when i first opened it up. But I just shunned it. Thanks for your post as it fixed my problem.