Error 1604 when trying to restore or update firmware

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mr. Bungle, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Mr. Bungle macrumors newbie

I have tried restoring to factory settings with Windows XP and Itunes 9. It goes through all the processes and puts my phone in DFU mode (USB cable to Itunes Icon) Then after a while it gives me an "Unknown error 1604" (I think it said 04) and stays in DFU mode. (Had to get IREB to get it out of loop) Anyways I know there is an alternate way to do this on the phone itself. Is this what I need to do or does anyone have any suggestions? I jailbroke my 3gs with redsnow on 3.0.1 firmware, and I also have the MMS update. Have also tried different computer and USB cable. Same results.

2. celticpride678

3. tehreflex macrumors 6502

What firmware version are you trying to restore to? Apple no longer signs the firmware for the 3Gs that is pre-3.1.2. If you're trying to restore to 3.1, 3.0.1, or 3.0 you can't do it unless you have the ECID or w/e it's called.

4. Mr. Bungle thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I can't even upgrade to 3.1.2. I get the same error messages.

5. maceleven macrumors 6502

try using a different USB cable . and before you do that im on a MAC so it may be different go into the library folder and delete the latest firmware update then plug in your iPhone using a ddiferent Usb cable and plug it into iTunes and it should restore thats what happen to mine iPhone also but im on a MAC

6. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I have this same issue with my 16GB iPod Touch. Have been totally unsuccessful in restoring to anything but 2.2.1 or 2.2

I've actually given up as I've tried everything. Different USB, different ports, fresh installs of Windows and iTunes, DFU, Recovery mode, Mac, PC, Windows 7, Vista, XP, Leopard.

Let me know if you fix your iPhone though and I can try what you did if I havent already :D

Good luck!

7. maceleven macrumors 6502

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=802873

8. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Quickpwn seems to fix this for some of the other errors. Try that.