error 23

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mbaskar, Feb 25, 2010.

1. mbaskar macrumors newbie

i have iphone 3GS which i already jailbreak.when i try to update to 3.1.3 recently the phone went to recovery mode and prompt error 23. now i cant restore the iphone at all(consider dead) when i brought to my telco they said i jailbreak the phone and the warranty is void. pls advice me what i can do to bring my phone to alive back

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Error 23 means a hardware failure. Basically the WiFi, bluetooth, 3G and edge radios have failed. You won't be restoring it.

Why you told them you jailbroke the phone is beyond me,

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

error codes

Error 23, 28, 29, 1011, 1012, 1611: These errors may indicate a hardware issue with your device. Follow the steps in this article and also attempt to restore while connected to a known-good computer and network to isolate this issue to the device. If the IMEI or MAC address is missing or is a default value, this can also confirm a hardware issue.

Symptoms

* The device shows no Wi-Fi address or Bluetooth address (Tap Settings > General > About and scroll down to Wi-Fi Address or Bluetooth).
    * iPhone or iPod touch appears to be connected to a Wi-Fi network but cannot use Wi-Fi for checking email, surfing the Internet, or other data transactions.
    * iPhone or iPod touch showing Wi-Fi or Bluetooth icon on device as grayed out.
    * iPhone not able to pair with Bluetooth device or accessory.
    * When you tap Settings > Wi-Fi and then tap Arrow pointing right next to the network, no values or entries for IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router, or DNS appear.

This can happen if, during the initial setup of the iPhone or iPod touch or after performing a software update or restore using iTunes, no Wi-Fi or Bluetooth address was registered.

Note: The features and troubleshooting steps may not be applicable to devices sold in certain countries including China. Please see iPhone or iPod touch technical specifications and this article for more information.
    Products Affected

iPhone, iPod touch, iPhone 3G, iPod touch (2nd generation)
    Resolution

First, sync your iPhone or iPod touch to iTunes to backup your user information, Contacts, Calendar, and other data. Then try the following steps in order.
    One

On the device, tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Check to see if the device now displays the Wi-Fi address or Bluetooth address (tap Settings > General > About and scroll down to Wi-Fi Address or Bluetooth). If there is a Wi-Fi address and a Bluetooh address, then you're done with these steps and you can resync your settings and your media using iTunes.

If there's still no Wi-Fi address or Bluetooth address, then continue to step two.
    Two

On the device, tap Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Check to see if the device now displays the Wi-Fi address and Bluetooth address (tap Settings > General > About and scroll down to Wi-Fi Address or Bluetooth). If there is a Wi-Fi address and Bluetooth address, then you're done with these steps and can resync your settings and your media using iTunes.

If there's still no Wi-Fi address or Bluetooth address, then continue to step three.
    Three

1. Restore the iPhone or iPod touch software (this erases all data on the device) using iTunes (see article 305744 for additional assistance).
    2. After the restore is complete, sync your previous settings (mail settings, text messages, notes, call history, contact favorites, and so on).
    3. Now see if your device shows a Wi-Fi address and Bluetooth address (tap Settings > General > About and scroll down to Wi-Fi Address or Bluetooth).

If there is a Wi-Fi address and Bluetooth address, then you're done with these steps. If there is no Wi-Fi address or Bluetooth address, then continue to step four.
    Four

If there is no Wi-Fi address or Bluetooth address listed after doing the above steps, then your iPhone or iPod touch may need to be repaired. See the iPhone Service FAQ or iPod Service FAQ for additional service information.

Note: If the device shows an address in the Wi-Fi Address field and you are still having issues using Wi-Fi, refer to article 305715 for additional Wi-Fi troubleshooting tips. If the device shows an address in the Bluetooth field and you are still having issues using Bluetooth, refer to articles HT1843 and HT1664 for additional Bluetooth troubleshooting tips.

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

This is correct. There is no restoring this phone. I had this error back in August and even the Apple store could not restore it. I got a new one that same day.

The OP needs to return it since it is under warranty. They will replace it like they did mine.