Error 3002 when upgrading to iOS 5 beta?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kyle1320, Jun 6, 2011.

1. kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

Hey people, so when I try to upgrade / restore to the new iOS 5 beta I get error 3002. I have upgraded to the latest iTunes (the developer preview one designed for iOS 5 beta) and have tried option+restore and option+upgrade. Any ideas?

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Do you have a registered dev account? Are you even a dev, if your not a dev you really shouldn't use the iOS5 beta. It's dev only for a reason.

3. sikosis macrumors newbie

I am an iOS developer and I've got the same error :(

4. bc2116 macrumors newbie

Same here...but

I'm a paid Dev and I got the 3002 as well. I believe this is usually a provisioning problem, but my iphone/pad has been provisioned and worked for the previous 4.3 betas/etc. Neither are working now the 3002 error. I've tried a new provisioning profile without further luck.

But, I'm testing the theory that restoring the phone from the beta, rather than upgrading, may yet work. The rather large catch is that one should expect to lose everything and return to a factory install, with no gaurantees of restoring back to 4.x. Hmm... we'll soon see!

5. bc2116 macrumors newbie

The most surprising result...

So I chose the "restore" method (option-cmd restore) to upgrade to iOS 5beta. As expected, it installed fine, but to factory defaults. After a new iOS 5 setup screen it gave me the option to restore from backup, which I chose, just to confirm if there was an escape route left.

To somewhat of a surprise, it offered up my old phone's name as a restore option, and I chose it. It went through a long process and I expected my old iOS 4 phone to come back. But, it was still iOS 5. And the most surprising result was... It also had my old data (well, it remembered which apps to install, but had to reinstall them, and my desktop asked for my MobileMe Keychain approval for iTunes for the phone).

And the second most surprising result is... it's reinstalling the old apps (in their proper folders and arrangements, it appears) - in the background!?! I guess it's not actually over-the-air at this point, but it almost feels like it, as I can open the phone. It's a bit sluggish though, so I'll wait for the installs to finish and see if it's really the best result possible (iOS 5 beta with my old data... even rhymes).

Bryan

6. jamesvdm macrumors regular

jamesvdm

That's the way it has always worked after a restore.

Thanks for the update.

7. APower macrumors newbie

8. mkoenig1975 macrumors newbie

Simple way to do it

YOu need to have iTunes 5 installed which you can get from imzdl.com then if you're using a mac hold option and click restore then select the iOS 5 firmware. Then ta-da ur in :)

9. Detrius macrumors 68000

10. graymalkin2 macrumors newbie

11. mark28 macrumors 68000

Why isn't iOS 5 not on iTunes? Where do you guys get iOS 5 from? :confused:

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

iTunes is already up to version 10.

13. dbro macrumors newbie

I registered for this forum just to maybe shed some light on this. Error 3002 is when iTunes cannot connect to the verification server. You need to check your hosts file and remove the line 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

You've probably put it there because, like me, you like to upgrade and downgrade and play around with your firmware, and adding that line to the hosts file is what solves some other problems, and maybe you've done that before in your attempts to play with the phone.

Detailed instructions:

1. Open Terminal, then type the following:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/hosts 
    2. Find this line in your hosts file and delete it:

Code:
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com 
    3. Alternatively, If you want to preserve the line, you can place a '#' at the start of the line to ignore it, so it looks like this:

Code:
    #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com 
    4. Press control+o and hit enter to save.

5. Try your update again.

14. dbro macrumors newbie

He means version 10.5 which is a beta, not version 5.

15. DPinTX macrumors member

Got the same 3002 error, did a restore and it loaded up just fine.

DP

16. Halopend macrumors member

Dope! I forgot about that too! Thanks for pointing this out as I thought apple was blocking the installation cause I'm not a dev so the chances of me remembering that I forwarded iTunes to verify with saurik wheneverago doesn't seem likely.

17. arunn93 macrumors newbie

Terminal ..

After typing in the following code on terminal: sudo nano /etc/hosts

I still cant seem to find the line that has to be deleted in order to successfully install the iOS 5 beta !

Help anyone ?

18. Resevdog macrumors regular

Don't quote me because I'm no expert, but it seems that if you have a currently jailbroken phone, you need to do a restore not an upgrade. I tried upgrade and got 3002. My hosts file is already good to go. SO I did a restore (after a backup) and it loaded up just fine.

19. brianfalexander macrumors newbie

Doing a restore instead of upgrade. Working just fine. Installing iOS5. Can't wait to get my hands on the 200 new features! :eek:

20. tattoo99 macrumors newbie

Key thing - after doing a Restore, install beta next, and then restore from your backup.

I happened to do this from the Devices panel in the Organizer in Xcode, but that probably didn't make a difference. If nothing else works, try that.

21. sangv macrumors newbie

did every body solved the 3002 error or not??
    if not please let me know becasue i just solved it..

though i can't add the link here but i can help you via replys..

22. aldejesus macrumors regular

I have not been able to install it.

23. graymalkin2 macrumors newbie

Have you tried Option-Restore (not Option-Upgrade). These instructions on installing iOS 5 might help.

24. sangv macrumors newbie

here is what you need to do to solve the 3002 error

it depends on your operating system as well..

if you have MAC its not that hard .
    Here is what you need to do

1. Open Terminal, so paste the following code
    2. Now find the following line and delete it:
    Code:
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

or you can add # sign in front of the above line which will disable the use of this code line. which will look like

#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

If you are in Windows you can get the detailed information here..

To solve 3002 error in Windows

25. sangv macrumors newbie

We get the same error even installing the iOS...