Error 3014 is driving me NUTS

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by berlinde, Apr 27, 2015.

1. berlinde, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

berlinde macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm guessing this is going to be more of a networking question than iOS, really, but I've searched high and low and found no answer to this.

I restore a lot of iOS devices every day and I've come across this error consistently but not EVERY TIME: I'll try to restore an iOS device while connected to an ethernet cable via the thunderbolt adapter and about 85-90% of the times I'll get the 3014 error. As soon as I unplug it and connect via wifi to the same network it'll work, maybe not on the first try or the second. Network is as follows: ethernet cable is connected to a switch which is in turn connected to a modem and that to the FiOS ONT. Wifi is provided by the same router. I've changed a bunch of network and dns settings (as I understand that 3014 is a 'cannot connect' error type) to no avail.

Can anyone shed some light on this or at least point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

Edit:
    Just realized I posted this in the wrong sub-forum so I apologize in advance and hope so mod can move it to the right place. Thank you.

2. chunheisiu macrumors newbie

chunheisiu

Error 3014 indicates a bad hosts file. That means iTunes is unable to connect to the Apple servers (i.e. gs.apple.com) to verify the iOS software that is being installed.

Editing the hosts file should solve the issue.

3. berlinde thread starter macrumors newbie

@chunheisiu, thank you for taking the time to reply, but:

- I do have Apple's servers there (I jailbreak my iPad because I can't live without f.lux), but both lines are commented out.

- If that were the case, I'm guessing it would fail when restoring via wifi as well.