Error -36 , on my external HD.

rwdebes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Anyone can help me with that ???
i bought a WD My Book 500GB external HD and everytime i try to backup some files to it , i receive the error message (error CODE -36) says i cant read or write the files.. but this happen with every file i try to copy...

thanks..

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Try verifying / repairing it in Disk Utility. Also, is it USB 2.0 or Firewire you're using? Try the other one if you have both (not sure what model you have).

rwdebes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Try verifying / repairing it in Disk Utility. Also, is it USB 2.0 or Firewire you're using? Try the other one if you have both (not sure what model you have).
i have the USB 2.0 only... ( called Essential Edition)

i already used the Disk Utility i still get the same error code -36 msg...

rwdebes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Check this out...
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=9805

Is the drive formatted in FAT32 or HFS+? Generally there are problems copying files that have certain types of illegal characters to volumes formatted in FAT32. I can't remember what the characters are off-hand.
its FAT32 , should i format to HFS+ ??

thanks for the link but that link talk about system errors msgs, this erro come from the HD not the system.. thanks btw.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
its FAT32 , should i format to HFS+ ??

thanks for the link but that link talk about system errors msgs, this erro come from the HD not the system.. thanks btw.
Depends what you want to do with the drive

If you want to share files with windows then you'll need to leave it as FAT32 but there is a 4Gb file size limit.

If you want to just use it with macs reformat it to HFS+

rwdebes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Depends what you want to do with the drive

If you want to share files with windows then you'll need to leave it as FAT32 but there is a 4Gb file size limit.

If you want to just use it with macs reformat it to HFS+
im just using with my imac c2d, so i think ill do that...
this might solve the problem ??

one things is funny.. i have a Lacie Brick 300gb , and its formated fat32 aswell and i dont have this problem at all.. the same files i tryied to copy to my WD , and got the error i succeed with my Lacie drive..