Error -36 Problem.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by remybrooks, Dec 19, 2011.

1. remybrooks macrumors member

Hi, I have recently performed a Clean Install of Lion and am copying files from my External Hard Drive back onto My Macbook HD. Every time try to transfer Music, Movies, Photos etc I get Error -36. If your thinking this may be a problem from the Clean Install, its Not. I had this problem copying data from My HD to my EHD as well. (before the clean install)
    My External Hard Drive is formatted in Mac OS Extended (journaled) and Im running Mac OS 10.7.2 on the Macbook early 2010. I have already tried changing permissions on the folders and my Hard Drive but they are already on Read/Write.
    Also, the files that Cannot be read/written have nothing wrong with them.
    Any Suggestions?

2. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

If there are specific files that cause the same error every time you try to copy them, then the files are corrupted. It may feel like there's nothing wrong with them (maybe you got lucky enough that some program was able to partially read them), but you need to restore a backup copy of those files.

I would also recommend running Disk Utility on the disk that is giving you errors.

3. Maverick513 macrumors member

An error -36 normally indicates that data cannot be sent or received by the operating system for some reason. Is the single file you copied bigger than 2GB? Or copying any size of file will give you this error?