Error 36 - Tiger files have issues on Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rupansansei, Nov 7, 2008.

1. rupansansei macrumors newbie

Just got a new mac and copied my old files over (just a drag and drop from a copy of my User directory on an external hard drive). Sorted them out a bit, but now I was hoping to copy them on to a different external hard drive since I've been having some Time Machine issues (different story entirely). I really just want to drag my Documents folder onto the HD, but every time I do I get an Error 36 on on of the files at some point. Inevitably these files are Powerpoint projects or iDVD compilations - files that point to other graphics or mp3 files or whatnot. So it cancels the whole copy. I'd be fine with even ignoring those files.

I tried zipping up my docs and copying that over, but even that hangs up saying it can't read/write the data.

Any ideas? Help!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If the external drive is FAT32 you won't be able to copy any files to it that are larger than 4GB each, as your iDVD things might be.

3. rupansansei thread starter macrumors newbie

I formatted the drive for Macs, so I don't think it's FAT. And the files are all pretty small - the iDVD thing is only 4mb. The powerpoint files are probably bigger than it. The entire zip file of my docs directory is under 800 megs.