Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
What is this error? I've not been able to find a good reason for it.

I do back up of files and certain files fail on error 36. The files are off a linux image dump to my mac hard drive. Certain files always fail to copy when doing a bulk/home folder copy. Yet if I manually copy the problem files directly from folder to folder then it works.

It's only a problem copying the subfolder over. There is nothing unusual about the files, filenames are short and longer on other files in the same folder.

Always the same files, so not some random timeout of the USB drive, and it is a powered 2Tb branded drive. My PC copies as much to it and off the drive with no issue.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Yep, been through that, tried every suggestion on google. Even there there seems to be no firm or consistent reason as to the cause of error 36. Permission, attributes, . (dot) files fixes, hardware connections lost, nothing fixes it.

I think it has something to do with them being debian files. They folders were tar'd and untar'd to preserve all the symbolic links and avoid the recursive link problem when copying.

Much as macrumours is fun, is does seem a bit lacking when you start going deeper into OS X.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
I should add, since the upgrade to yosemite, the photos and movie folders also have this fault when copying the home directory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.