Error -36, with strange twist.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GoaTrancer, Jun 25, 2009.

1. GoaTrancer macrumors newbie

Hey so Ive been getting the "error -36" "operation could not be completed because file "" could not be read or written when trying to backup one external firewire drive to another drive (either another external firewire, or my internal startup drive). After the error, the copy operation will hang and be impossible to cancel, forcing a find relaunch about 50% of the time.
    -Disk Utility finds no problems with the disk
    -The filenames do not contain illegal characters
    -If I try enough times the problem file(s) will eventually copy, but then another file will become the problem, suggesting that the file itself is NOT actually corrupted. After successful copy, the file (an MP3) plays just fine. Subsequently, I will have trouble copying that same file again.

There are no strange noises from the HD and I can feel the vibrations from it spinning as normal.

My guess is that the HD is on its last legs and is acting flaky but that the data is still OK... what can I do to rescue the data before the damn thing dies completely??

Now before anyone jumps on me to UTFSE, I have searched extensively, but havent found anything that addresses my specific situation (especially the part about the files being randomly OK and not OK.

2. GoaTrancer thread starter macrumors newbie

It was a bad firewire cable it seems. Funny because I bought one just a year ago (due to the drive not showing up on my hard drive lol). Glad I didnt spend $ on disk warrior. Now the question who makes sturdy firewire cables? Guess I panicked a bit posting but I wasnt anxious to spend $ on a new firewire cable if not necessary.