Error -36

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ThirteenXIII, Aug 22, 2010.

1. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

System: MacBook Pro 13" 2.26 2009 Model
    Device: FireWire800 drive (non-raid, non-dual drive) Single drive.
    Both drives are HFS+ (standard OSX formatted drives).
    Both drives are 2TB drives as well.

[​IMG]

I get this when trying to transfer my back up DVDs to another drive/volume.

All drives check out fine, all cables are good. I'am able to transfer the other DVDs just fine.
    This one for some reason wont transfer to another drive, I can't compress it into a ZIP or even duplicate it on the same drive itself.
    It's a 2-disc DVD that totals 12GB; I can open it in HandBrake and convert it just fine...

The weird thing is this came from a different drive a few months ago so I'm not sure whats up with this really.

any ideas?

Thanks!

2. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks.

but still are unresolved apparently.
    I have updated to 10.6.4 (combo updater)so im not on 10.6.3.

the drives are fine themselves.

i doubt the files are corrupted. as they work fine. just something in between.

Idk i guess.

3. UTball macrumors newbie

www.google.com

A simple google search will also solve most all of your problems. Whenever you have a question next time, think to yourself that www.google.com is the best place to find the answer to your question.

If you run into this horribly inconvenient bug, there is a temporary solution until Apple gets their act together. It involves stripping the main file of its unneeded dot-underscore buddy. Don’t worry, you won’t lose anything important in the process. Here’s what you can do:

Launch Terminal (Applications > Utilities) and type the following command, making sure to include a space at the end:
    dot_clean

Select the folder on your Mac that is giving you trouble and drag it right to the Terminal window. A green cursor with a + symbol should appear before you release the mouse.
    The path to that folder should have automatically appeared at the end of the Terminal command. For example, it might look like:
    dot_clean /Users/UserName/Desktop/Test_Folder

Press Enter/Return to run the command. It will appear as if nothing happened, but try copying that folder to a MS-DOS volume now. Finder should magically allow it to be moved with no problem!
    Repeat the entire process as needed for other folders that won’t copy.

4. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah next time I will prefer google vs macrumors, as im sure i wont encounter too many smartassy responses.

The problem is, i have already encountered those links via google and macrumors, hence why i created my own thread..otherwise i wouldn't.

And none of those solutions had any affect on the issue at hand.
    So unless you had first hand experience with the issue then your response and telling me to google it, is moot.

I'm not using nor have i ever used ms-dos or fat32 formatted drives.
    These were all hfs+ drives.

However I had a friend came over with a Mac with Xp and was able to transfer from my hfs+ to their install and to the new drive and corrected the issue.
    No idea why it was having problems...but it works now.
    It's a rand error within leopard and snow leopard.
    It happened under 10.5.8 , 10.6.2, 10.6.4