Error 5002 (unknown error) when trying to update apps in iTunes 8

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by archonium, Sep 9, 2008.

1. archonium macrumors newbie

i am having an error 5002 pop up when I try to click on the 'updates available -->' link at the bottom right corner of the apps screen in iTunes 8.

I know there are some others having a similar problem :mad:

Anyone manage to figure out the problem?

2. diesel macrumors 6502a

happened to me before, and i just re-clicked on the update button again. if that fails, just restart itunes.

3. archonium thread starter macrumors newbie

I've done it all:

Repaired permissions
    Restarted iTunes
    Reset password

Still the same result

4. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

yes, me too. This is so frustrating as it says I have 20 updates, but on my phone it just says 2!!

5. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

6. archonium thread starter macrumors newbie

May have found a resolution to the issue

Look in your apps window.

You will find an app or some apps that do not have a proper icon. (but just a standard black icon with an application logo)

i deleted those Apps which icons where not displaying properly, on my itunes.

Error 5002 is no longer appearing!

7. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I'm waiting till I get the 2.1 update before my phone gets near my mac again

8. evilyankeefan macrumors regular

evilyankeefan

Ahhh....that works. Shows me for trying to revert back to an older version of an app.

9. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I stumbled upon the same solution early this morning after trying a re-install of iTunes that did not work.

Not only did the removal of the offending app (Radius game) solve my 5002 error, but it also resolved a long standing issue where my iTunes would always show that I had two apps with updates available while checking for updates revealed all apps were apparently up to date.

BTW the Radius game app was still in the mobile applications folder of my iTunes directory. I was able to double click the file and it was re-installed in my iTunes app library without any issue and without reoccurence of the 5002 error.

10. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I am still getting this error and all my apps have the correct icons. Will try quitting iTunes and starting it one more time a little later.

11. diesel macrumors 6502a

Question, just how many apps do you have in itunes at the moment? do you have an unusual # of apps?

12. phantasmagoria macrumors regular

Thanks for that - this fixed the issue for me. IGN Reviews was showing as a black app logo and deleting it resolved the problem.

13. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I don't know if it is an unusal amount but I have 79, of which 40 are installed on the phone. The updater said I had 4 that had updates.

I didn't get to try it again in iTunes yet because I finally went ahead and updated them from the phone. I will have to wait until I need another update to see if the error is still there.

14. sam24112 macrumors newbie

If your are talking about the ipod 2.1 update

I got errors as well, I have to delete and restore my ipod touch before it would update. but it is working fine now

15. levifig macrumors member

levifig

WOW That would've been easier...

I went through my app list in iTunes *manually* and checked the iTunes Store for updates and updated them individually... After that it worked! :/ Wish I knew about this... But heck: at least I got it working before a lotta ppl even noticed the problem... And apparently this is a pretty widespread problem! :eek:

Thanks guys

16. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

I just deleted all the apps from my computer and re-downloaded them.