Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rootie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Hi,

I've encountered a weird behaviour in Catalina. One of the new features is that you don't anymore have to enter the admin password to authenticate when you have an Apple Watch.

I have setup everything but I can't manage to copy an application to /Applications using the Finder. As soon as I've authenticated with the Apple Watch I get an error message "Error -60008".

When I use the admin password authentication instead, it works.

My user is a standard user (no admin) and I would expect this to work. I also tried a new user and an admin user and nothing worked so far.

Maybe someone tries to copy a file to /Applications with my setup and report whether or not it works.

It seems like this is a bug in Catalina.

Best regards
rootie

rootie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Even a clean install does not work. Am I interpreting this functionality wrong? I can’t believe that I‘m the only one with this issue.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi,

I've encountered a weird behaviour in Catalina. One of the new features is that you don't anymore have to enter the admin password to authenticate when you have an Apple Watch.

I have setup everything but I can't manage to copy an application to /Applications using the Finder. As soon as I've authenticated with the Apple Watch I get an error message "Error -60008".

When I use the admin password authentication instead, it works.

My user is a standard user (no admin) and I would expect this to work. I also tried a new user and an admin user and nothing worked so far.

Maybe someone tries to copy a file to /Applications with my setup and report whether or not it works.

It seems like this is a bug in Catalina.

Best regards
rootie
I'm not sure if this is necessarily a bug. The watch unlock doesn't provide a mechanism to identify the user as an administrator, so if you're a standard user, there's no way for the watch to indicate to the computer who is authenticating.

rootie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Yes but why does Catalina offer me to authenticate via the Watch if it's not possible anyway? Simply setup the authentication and try to copy a file to /Applications with a standard user. The Watch will trigger and offer you to authenticate which then fails.

I would have expected this working like 'sudo' with the password authentication replaced by the double-click on the Watch button.

The way it is solved right now is just ridiculous - as of now I only can use the Watch to unlock the Mac and to view my passwords in Safari and that's pretty much it.

Thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.