Error 9838 when connecting 3g iPhone to activate

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by deniser, Jul 11, 2008.

1. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

As above, this keeps happening when I connect my new 3g iPhone to activate

2. oodanner macrumors newbie

yep, same here. I think it is because Apple is getting hammered with requests and their servers can't keep up. Just try again this afternoon which is what I'm going to do.

3. Gloor macrumors 6502a

i have the same issue. Lets hope they will fix it soon

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Strange. I'm getting this same error on my first gen. iPhone when trying to connect it to iTunes. It says it can't connect to the iTunes store, but if you click on the store icon it goes there just fine. I can't understand why Apple's servers being hammered would stop me from being able to access my phone through iTunes.

5. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Same error message here. We successfully activated 1 of our 2 phones. This second looks like it's going to be picky.

6. badgerman macrumors 6502a

Yep, I had it about 8.05am this am, still waiting to activate her!

7. Zathu macrumors regular

Zathu

Looks like they replaced the error with a fancy error page.

8. 4leafphoto macrumors newbie

Same 9838 error

Same issue here. I'm not too worried, after all I did have all my data backed up. I guess I'll have to go a whole morning without using my iPhone.
    [​IMG]

9. thomanjones macrumors regular

Mine is stuck at 'accessing itunes store' on my mac, and 'slide for emergency' with the 'plug into itunes' image on my phone. Tried restarting a few times, but it seems to be server side, so nothing to do but keep trying.

edit: This is 2.0 software update for the 2G iPhone.

10. rayward macrumors 68000

So...existing users not upgrading to 3G get the update behind almost everyone else in the world (other than those who were lucky enough to get the sneak update to work yesterday - not me, got an error on multiple tries). When we try and update, the iPhone gets wiped and then iTunes can't reactivate.

BrickFest 2008.

This likely doesn't happen if Apple had rolled out the update for existing users yesterday. They clearly had a working update, and then we wouldn't be trying to update while they're busy signing up new 3G subscribers.

As a Day #1 adopter of the iPhone, I'm getting a little sick and tired of Steve Jobs kicking me in the swingers.

11. 4leafphoto macrumors newbie

Yup!

Exactly why couldn't they legitimately make the software available for us previous 1st generation iPhone users yesterday. I think its ridiculous and now my phone is locked, inoperable and worst yet has none of my data on it and still I wait for 2.0. Ughhhh!!!!

12. astroboy2007 macrumors newbie

Is about the server?

Same problem here. I am a first generation iPhone' user. Anyone can be sure about that the real problem to get into de iTunes Stores is just about the Apple server? Is it so, Is just about to try and try and try again...? My iPhone is inoperable for this issue.