Error after upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LameBrain, Dec 15, 2007.

1. LameBrain macrumors newbie

I just chose to upgrade from OS 10.4.2 to OS 10.4.11. After the upgrade, I was instructed to RESTART. I did so. It reopened with a black screen and the message "localhost:/ root#" What do I do now?

2. karencnyc macrumors newbie

Re: Error after upgrade

Have you found a solution to this problem? I just received the same error message. Thanks.

3. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

It's not an error message. The system has rebooted, but in single user mode. What you're seeing is the console root prompt (As the root user, you have godlike powers, so be careful with what you type in at the prompt)

I have no idea why the system is by default booting up into single user mode (normally you get here by holding down Command-S while rebooting).

4. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

5. LameBrain thread starter macrumors newbie

I got my answer.

I want to thank Yeroen for his reply to my question. :) However, I had already given up on getting a response from the forum by that time, so I had decided to totally reinstall the system from the DVD. That failed as well. :(

Then I took the computer to a technician, who did some testing and informed me that my hard drive had failed. I had to get a new hard drive. :eek:

Fortunately, I had done a backup immediately before attempting to upgrade the system, and it was during that attempted upgrade that the problem developed. Therefore, I lost absolutely nothing except the money for the new hard drive. :) :) :)