Error Code 36 and Time Machine Issues...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slick316, Mar 23, 2011.

1. slick316 macrumors 6502

Using Time Machine, I restored some ripped DVDs I had on my external drive. I use a 500GB WD Studio external drive on my MBP for iTunes and general storage (MBP has an 80GB SSD). I then use a 2TB WD External drive for Time Machine backups of my MBP drive and 500GB external.

I found the DVDs using TM and restored them. I used DVD player to play them and they played fine. So I decided to encode them so I can import them into iTunes and play them on my iPhone/iPad. When I tried using handbrake, only the first second of the show got encoded for some reason. So I decided to copy the DVDs to my SSD and encode from there. Well, they wouldn't copy, I got an "Error Code 36" when I tried to copy from my external drive to my desktop.

Any ideas on what this is? I've restored things from TM before, never DVDs, but everything else I recovered before was recovered just fine.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Might this be related? According to the link if you have 10.6.3 or later you shouldn't have this problem anymore...

3. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

I saw that article already. What I found odd was how it mentioned a FAT formatted drive as being the issue. My drive isn't FAT formatted, its HFS.

Also, I'm running 10.6.7.

Thanks for the help though, I really appreciate it.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Found this too, you might have already see it though if you found the other article. Long story short you can try moving the file(s) through Terminal. The commands will need a little tweaking however because the scenario posted was from an internal to an external drive.

5. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually didn't see this! Never even occurred to me to move the files using terminal.

I'll give this a shot, thanks a lot!

6. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just an update.

That article that you posted up worked like a charm!

I still can't seem to encode the DVDs, but I don't think thats an issue with the error code though.

Thanks for all the help!