Error code -36

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spincr, Jan 30, 2011.

1. spincr, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

spincr macrumors member

spincr

For starters, i'm trying to copy a bunch of movies on my 2tb (Wester Digital) external HD using my Macbook Pro, but it keeps popping up the error -36 code.

I have a 2tb eHD which i formatted (into a journalled format(?)), so i can support big files (however only one of the 10 movies i'm copying is over 4gig, and i have tried excluding that one in the copying).

I also have a 1tb eHD to which the movies áre copied too (but i don't want them there -> also a Western Digital). I don't understand because i have more than 1tb free on the 2tb HD (and this is where i want to the movies to be stored), and the 1tb HD is as good as empty (but ís working).

Anyone have any idea why its doing this?

Thanks in advance.

2. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

-36 error I think has to do with a windows/samba server setup. The Hard drive maybe correct but if its connecting via a SMB/CIFS server, that could be your issue.

3. spincr thread starter macrumors member

spincr

Actually i have added like 900 Gig in the last weeks to that external hard drive, and the 1tb HD is working (i seem to fail to see the difference between the 2, i have had them for quite some time already), but now (not even half full) it just stopped working and started popping up that error.

Could you explain a little bit more about what you think about the problem i'm having?

4. helmsc macrumors regular

5. spincr thread starter macrumors member

spincr

Perhaps i should have specified it more.

Macbook Pro (10.6.6)
    2tb Western Digital (filled ±50%, about 1 month old)
    1tb Western Digital (filled ±1% thanks to the below, about 1,5 year old)

I want the movies from my Macbook to the 2tb disc. That didn't work so i tried if the 1tb disc did work. Which it did.

I'd like to find out why this is happening.

6. helmsc macrumors regular

from support.apple.com:
    I'd try running Disk Utility or if you have it DiskWarrior.

7. Elbert C macrumors 6502

Type -36 error (I/O Errors (bummers)

This file is having difficulty while either reading from the drive or writing to the drive. The file
    may have been improperly written data to the drive or the hard drive or disk may be damaged.
    This is almost always indicative of a media error (hard error on the disk). Sometimes (rarely) it is transient.

Solutions: Try copying the file to another drive. Use a disk recovery software, such as Disk First Aid to examine the disk. You can try rebooting with all extensions off. Once in a while this will allow you to read the data. The file in question should be restored from a backup that was stored on a different disk. Regular backups can reduce the time to recover from this error.

8. helmsc macrumors regular

wow, way to almost copy what I'd already posted. How about you read what others have already posted next time? :p

9. spincr thread starter macrumors member

spincr

Thanks everyone. I'll give it a shot later today if i have time.