Error Code -36

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thanser, Mar 22, 2014.

1. thanser macrumors newbie

Here we go again.

I just installed a third SATA drive in my Mac Pro, running Mountain Lion. The drive is a Seagate 500Mb Barracuda, and it was taken out of my Windows machine where it was a spare storage drive, working fine.

I added it to my Mac Pro, as a third drive - two are storage and one is the startup. I had some trouble partitioning and formatting this drive as Mac Extended (Journaled) but I finally got it. Running Disk Utility reports no problems when verifying this drive.

However, I cannot copy files from the other storage drive to the Seagate Barracuda:

"The finder can't complete the operation because some data in "_________" can't be read or written. (Error code - 36).

But, I can copy files from the first storage drive to my desktop, and I also tried copying to an external USB storage drive. So, it's not the files or the drive they're stored on, it seems to be the Seagate 500MB Barracuda.

What to do?

Give up on this Seagate drive? I've read some people have the same error message with a replacement drive, so...let's give this another shot. I'm not ready to give up on this drive, and I've tested it with TechTool.

The Seagate is NOT formatted as FAT or any Windows format - it's formatted for a Mac.

Delete the .DSstore files on the source drive? I've tried that after reading this as a cause of the problem. Same error message.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Are you able to zero out the drive in Disk Utility?

3. thanser thread starter macrumors newbie

Error Code -36

Thank you, Intel.

Out of curiosity, I just did an "erase" of this drive in Disk Utility and I get the error message:

"Disk Erase Failed.

Disk Erase failed with the error:

File system formatter failed."

This, I find, is related to drives that are 500Mb and larger. So...I have to partition this drive (GUID Partition Table) and I get the same error message when partitioning with ONE partition or two partitions.

Same deal, over and over again.

I can't remember what I did last time to actually get this drive to partition and format, but I did finally. But I could never copy files to it with any success.

Dump this drive and go get another one? They're only about $65.00.

Thanks.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In the Partition tab of Disk Utility, do you click the Option button then select GUID then tell it to makes one partition? After you do that, you should be able to securely zero the drive. If you can't zero the drive, replace it.

5. thanser thread starter macrumors newbie

Error Code -36

The options button really isn't available until you select at least ONE partition, but to answer your question I am selecting GUID partition table.

I just tried it again and I get the "Partition Failed" error message again. Same for two partitions or one - Partition failed.

There are plenty of Mac drives out there now that are 500Mb and larger! :)

Toss this drive, and replace it? What drives would you suggest for an internal Mac storage drive?

Thanks again.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That drive probably has a few bad blocks near the very beginning of it causing the bad formatting. I'd say replace it.

7. thanser thread starter macrumors newbie

Error Code -36

Thanks, Intel.

I've been struggling with this particular drive for over a week. I've run TechTool and DriveWarrior on this Seagate, but it doesn't show any problems.

I'm off to go pick up a new drive.

Thanks again.