Error code -43

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrpeepers, Jan 19, 2008.

1. mrpeepers macrumors regular

"The operation cannot be completed because one or more required items cannot be found" "Error code -43"

Occasionally when I am pasting an item I copied I get the message above. The work around is to just paste it again, but I shouldn't be getting these errors!

Can anyone offer any advice?

I'm on a new Intel iMac running Leopard...

It's not this either, none of the file names have invalid characters....

This occurs because Mac OS X allows you to use certain characters in file names that Microsoft Windows operating systems do not allow. The alert message text does not make this clear and may be regarded as erroneous. If you frequently share files with Windows computers, you may wish to follow naming protocols for the version of Windows that is in use.

These are the characters not allowed:

? [ ] / \ = + < > ; : " , | *

Respectively, these are the question mark, left and right brackets, solidus (or "forward slash"), reverse solidus (or "backslash"), equals sign, plus sign, left and right angle brackets, semicolon, colon, quotation mark, comma, pipe, and asterisk.

If the issue occurs when you are trying to open or copy a file, remove these characters from the file names.

2. mrpeepers thread starter macrumors regular

I found this as a possible solution online, but it's not the problem, at least not what i can tell.

It's not this either, none of the file names have invalid characters....

This occurs because Mac OS X allows you to use certain characters in file names that Microsoft Windows operating systems do not allow. The alert message text does not make this clear and may be regarded as erroneous. If you frequently share files with Windows computers, you may wish to follow naming protocols for the version of Windows that is in use.

These are the characters not allowed:

? [ ] / \ = + < > ; : " , | *

Respectively, these are the question mark, left and right brackets, solidus (or "forward slash"), reverse solidus (or "backslash"), equals sign, plus sign, left and right angle brackets, semicolon, colon, quotation mark, comma, pipe, and asterisk.

If the issue occurs when you are trying to open or copy a file, remove these characters from the file names.