ERROR CODE -61 - What to do next ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by star555, Aug 9, 2008.

1. star555 macrumors regular

I am trying to uninstall / delete an application ive downloaded to give it a try, when I try and move it to the Trash bin I get this warning pop on screen

SORRY; ERROR CODE -61

ive also tried using AppCleaner, and when I move the Icon of the application I want to uninstall , to the uninstall box, every thing is shown as Ok , then I click delete , and AppCleaner shows all the associated files to be deleted and then I click .. Ok Delete , AppCleaner then confirms that the application has been deleted, but when I look at my desk top where the application Icon was, its still there and I can still find all the files with finder.

advice most welcome please.

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

This error code means you do not have "write permissions" to delete the file.

Question:

You say you downloaded the program. Was it contained in a .dmg file that you mounted to your desktop? Did you then launch the app from the dmg file? Are you trying to delete the app from the .dmg file? You can't, because anything contained in the dmg file is "read only". You can delete the dmg file only if you unmount it first or reboot.

If this is not the case, we need more details as to how and where the program was installed, your system configuration, attached disks, and whether the account you are using is the administrator account. Also the name of the program would be helpful.