error code 61

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pjfan281, Mar 21, 2009.

1. pjfan281 macrumors newbie

i took the advice of people online and created a sparse image file as a way of password protecting folders on my hard drive. worked well for a while. these days, when i try to add or delete files from that sparse image, i get error 61 code. why can't i write/delete from that mounted image anymore?

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Have you modified the permissions, or locked the .sparseimage file?

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

According to this thread, that error is a bad master directory block. It's a possible sign that the drive where your spareimage is at is failing. Where is the sparseimage e.g., on your Mac or an external HD?

You can attempt doing a verify and repair on the drive where it's at using Disk Utility, but no guarantees.

4. pjfan281 thread starter macrumors newbie

the image is on an external hard drive, used for backups. i don't think i've ever messed with any of the permissions. when i created it, i gave it a password. i can still enter the password, which unlocks and mounts the image. from there i can open files and such, so i have read access. i just can't add to or delete from the image. somehow i lost those permissions. i attached a shot of the "get info" screen on the drive. i notice on the bottom now it says "you can only read" even though the option below it says "read/write". those buttons are grayed out and cant be clicked.

i ran disk utility before and hit both verify disk and repair disk, both said to have went through without error.

Attached Files:

• mac.png
      mac.png
      File size:
      49.7 KB
      Views:
  5. pjfan281 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh i figured it out. apparantly the image was locked. i noticed this when i did "get info" on the image itself before mounting it. unlocked and works fine now =)