Error code for startup on Digital Audio?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by xerocalibur, Sep 6, 2007.

1. xerocalibur macrumors newbie

Hey guys, first time poster, and first time mac user. I just bought a G4 digital audio at a surplus sale, brought it home -- it didn't have memory or a hard drive, so I put those in -- and went to boot it to install Tiger... and nothing. It powers up, yes, but no display yet.

The light on the front of the machine is blinking an error code at me, and no matter how much I search on google, I cannot find a listing for these codes. It's a long blink, followed by a short one, and then it goes blank. Long, short, blank. It will keep repeating this until you turn it off.

I already tried resetting the PMU and this happens still.

Any suggestions?

2. xerocalibur thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yeah...

It's a G4, Digital Audio, 733mhz... Forgot to mention the speed. Anything else you guys might need?

3. bigbird macrumors 6502

I have the same G4 Digital Audio 733. I'd re-seat the RAM after making sure it is indeed the correct RAM for the machine. I can't remember off hand the type of RAM. You can check at Ramjet.com or Crucial.

4. xerocalibur thread starter macrumors newbie

Took the RAM from a Quicksilver G4 that I got at the same sale... It went completely in, and clicked into place (the clips)... Do you think it could be wrong? I think I heard G4s can take PC133 as well as PC100... Is PC133 completely incompatible?

-Xerocalibur

5. xerocalibur thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, tried some more things...

Ok, the extent of my setup is as follows:

USB KVM Switch, mac is on 1 PC is on 2 -- works, I am using my PC presently...

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth Digital Audio, 733mhz...

I tried booting it again, holding C to boot from CD/DVDROM drive as the Hard Drive I have in there is a 40gb ATA but needs to be reformatted/erased as it was previously in a windows box. It didn't boot.

I turned up my speakers when I booted, and I do have a boot chime, a little "Diiing", and I can hear the fans running as well when I power the system up.

Any other ideas? Anyone know what the blinking light means??

6. G5power macrumors 6502

According to http://www.apple-history.com/ the Digital Audio uses PC133 memory. Did the QS boot with the memory installed in it?

Also make sure that some old PC133 server memory didn't get mixed in. From my experience the memory marked ECC will not work with the Apples.

Additional thoughts - have you tried hooking the DA directly to the monitor and not through the KVM? Possibly there is a related issue there.

Can you temporarily swap the video card with the QS for troubleshooting?

7. xerocalibur thread starter macrumors newbie

ZOMG Success! I took some older memory I had from an HP that I had stuck into the QS (I mean hell, the Sawtooth will be my primary... why not give it more memory?) and it booted!!! No video problems or nothing. So apparently, the RAM was the issue. Why would the RAM for the QS be different than the Sawtooth? I mean, they're both SDRAM dimms... both slotted the exact same way. DDR Ram doesn't look like SDRAM, does it?? Anywho, going through setup procedures for the Sawtooth presently... wish me luck! Hopefully I'll be typing to you from a mac the next time!

8. G5power macrumors 6502

Thats great to hear its working for you.

When I was looking for memory to upgrade my QS I had ran into the server type memory not letting the computer start up.