Error Connecting to Network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by uscjessie, Aug 20, 2007.

1. uscjessie macrumors newbie

I am totally confused as to why my brand new mac book won't connect to our wireless network at work. I have spent HOURS on the phone with mac and my isp. No result. I have tried changing the encryption type, putting a dollar sign in front of the key, and even took the encryption completely off.

Still, it doesn't connect. But, the network is listed under the airport icon, so airport recognizes it. The isp says the router is mac compatible. firmware is up to date. right now i have our network set on WPA. It connects fine at home.

Any ideas? I am desperate.

2. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

try switching the encryption to WEP. let me know if that works.

3. uscjessie thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ironjaw macrumors 6502

You need to be a bit more specific on the details - explain exactly what you have. I would also recommend that you try Apple Discussions - they are very helpful

Sometimes try using another channel because at work there might be some interference, try also using interference rebustness.

One more thing you said at work, have you asked the administrator that if you need to register your MAC address?

5. uscjessie thread starter macrumors newbie

netopia router
    new macbook
    all other computers in office are pcs. <---- i think this is probably key.

MAC is not enabled.

Tried Interference Robustness. Tried taking channel from 6 to 3.

Still no luck.

The security was originally set on WEP, but I have tried changing it to WPA, and even taking security off briefly.

I have a thread going on apple discussions... :)

6. ironjaw macrumors 6502

If your using WEP that you need to use what is called a WEP equivalent password which is really loooong letters and numbers. Anyhow see how one of the PC's are connected, is it DHCP, or Manual IP, what is the subnet and router.

1. Try Ping the router, using the mac, try using the ethernet cable? what happens?

2. Using the pc profile try to see if your mac's network detail are the same.

You say that it SSID pops up in airport what happens next when you type the password in? what does it say

7. uscjessie thread starter macrumors newbie

The password is 22 characters I believe.... letters and numbers
    When I open the router page it says
    Router: Netopia-3000/15781164
    DHCP Server:eek:n

Not sure what "subnet" is

When the ethernet cable is connected from mac directly to the router, it works wired, but Airport still gives me the message:

There was an error joining the Airport Network "7414 6751"

In terms of checking the network detail, where would i look other than the Network preferences?

Thanks for your help

8. ironjaw macrumors 6502

that SSID Apple Network yada yada you said seems to be more like an apple airport base station or an airport express. Those are the only ones that call themselves that.

You said you have a non apple router, right? that's odd, are you sure you've got the right wireless network?

btw, Applications > Utilities > Airport utility is apple's own utility to admin the Aiport express or base station

9. uscjessie thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought the same thing at first, but, the others in the office building are shown also (none are mac), and the SSID is the same on all of the pc's in the office.

I am freaking puzzled.

10. ironjaw macrumors 6502

try the aiport utility to see if you can connect to the base station or try http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 that's the default address to the router's website administration page (via ethernet cable)

11. Stevenup7002 macrumors member

Im having the exact same problem with a netopia router, its a 3347W, Ive tried everything, I dont use encryption on my network. Ive tried everything that you have then it suddenly started working again. Then it stopped the next day, it remains the same today.

12. ironjaw macrumors 6502

I cannot pinpoint the problem . I never trust ISP routers:mad:

13. uscjessie thread starter macrumors newbie

netopia router, its a 3347W - SAME MODEL I HAVE!!!!

Narrows the problem down at least!

Stupid AT&T wants to tell me its not the router. :mad:

14. fcummins macrumors newbie

Same problem. Same router. Apple are aware of this, but hiding their heads. Customer service tried to bully me into reinstalling the OS on a brand new macBook, before owning up that there was a problem they know of. Still no help. I'm seriously considering returning the damn machine, and demanding my applecare money back too.....

15. prechrchet macrumors regular

Same issue

I've got this same issue wth a new mac mini. Has anyone found a reliable solution?

prechrchet

16. prechrchet macrumors regular

A possible solution

I managed to get mine to work last night. If it helps anyone, here is what I did.

First, I am running a mac mini (OS X v10.4.10), with windows XP via bootcamp. I have no idea whether or not this would work using VMware or Parallels. Also, I was adding a new computer to a network that was already in existence.

The first thing I did was reboot into windows. I used the software that came from my ISP (Bellsouth) to connect via airport. Everything was working fine. Then I went to the "control panel" (not sure if that was the real name for it or not) where you can see all of your wireless connections. (Again, this is using the software that came from my ISP.) I selected the connection, clicked on "edit." This gave me all of the settings, including a new password for the network (I had been using same the password that all of the other computers had been using). I copied everything down, and rebooted into OS X.

When I brought OS X up, I simply selected the network in question, and entered the new password. Everything worked just fine after that.

Hope this helps!

prechrchet