Error connecting to wireless network using AirPort

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andy.mac, Aug 3, 2007.

1. andy.mac macrumors newbie

I have recently abandoned the PC life and have switched to a Mac. I haven't had any problems with my Macbook until recently. I just moved and am having trouble getting onto the wireless network that is set up in my new house. I know that the AirPort card is working because I used it last week at my old appartment to connect to the wireless network there. The frustrating thing is that I am on my PC laptop right now and the wireless is working flawlessly. And believe me it isn't the password, I've entered it in about a million times. Any ideas? I'd hate to succumb to only using my PC for internet!:apple:

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

This happens to me sometimes, try resetting the router. That usually fixes it, but if it doesn't try turning off airport and then back on. If that doesn't work, then log out and log back in. Any one of those/combination of them usually works for me.

3. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

k

errm this is a common problem with the new macbook pro or macbooks they struggle to connect via wepp or wpa protected networks depending on router i have the same problem with my mbp so either buy a newer router or your gonna have to live with it

4. andy.mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Booooo, that was not what I needed to hear! The problem is that I don't have the access to the router since it isn't mine. I am going to try and see if I can have a look at it later today to reset it. So if I reset the router will that screw up the wireless network?

5. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

Just add an extra "$" to your password, it would be "$XXXXX" if your password is XXXXX.;)

6. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

Yea, I get the same crap with my powerbook g4, the newest flaw with mine is how if I unplug the adaptor while it is in sleep the network will never be found...

What's more annoying is how it only has issues with my apple wireless server, and my parents base station at their house when my fiancé and I visit.

The guy upstairs in my apartment complex has an unprotected wireless network that I end up using more than my own...

7. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Yep, this solution worked for me. I also just moved into a new place and I had to set-up my new MBP (which thankfully replaced my crappy PC laptop). If your router is WEP protected like mine, then just add the $ to your password.

8. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

k

the $ may or may not work it didnt for me soooo be warned

9. Bronco macrumors newbie

I just bought 2 MacBook Pro, I have the same problem with both computers. I tried the "$", now one works better (but not perfect), in the other one still the problem.

10. Gandhi macrumors regular

Have you guys applied the latest Airport update released by Apple couple of days ago? I applied it and I reset my router and my problems have gone away. Previously I would get random drops, or would not be able to connect at all to my WPA protected router. May wanna use software update and get the latest updates.

11. andy.mac thread starter macrumors newbie

I've managed to download the new airport patch on my pc and install it on my macbook, I've also tried putting "$" before my password and still no dice. So I'm going to try and see if I can have a look at my landlords router. So if I hit the reset button is it going to screw up the wireless network for everyone else or will all of their settings still be as they were? I don't want to be the whiny mac guy who ruins it for everyone!

12. andy.mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Still dead on the road...

I just got back from vacation and am ready to try and tackle this problem again...so any other advice would be much appreciated.

As it stands I have done the following and have still had no success:
    - tried typing in $ before the password
    - resetting wireless router
    - installing the new airport patch

I had a look at my landlords wireless setup and her router is a SMC Barricade G Wireless Broadband Router. In the past I've had much better success with Linksys/Mac routers so I am wondering if there is something weird going on with her router. Its not like she is a computer whiz or anything so I doubt she would have been able to set it up with all sorts of restrictions and security.

Long story short, still the problem and I am really hating using a pc all the time. ANY MORE IDEAS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!:apple:

13. metamorfose macrumors newbie

I am having a similar problem but my router has no wep security

Ok... here is the problem - it is almost the same however, with some slightly different details.

My router - SMC Barricade 7804 wbra has no password for wireless users - however, it has been programmed to recognize only the IPs and correspondent MAC adresses (which is called Airport ID on the Macbook) that i gave to each machine (manually). I've got 4 PCs and a MacBook Pro 15" running OS X Leopard 10.5.6.

It is funny to see that the PCs work perfectly (also did the Mac untill a few days ago).

I was browsing a few harmless websites (i was leaving feedback for a few transactions, to be more specific), and suddenlly i could not recieve any data from the web no matter what page i visit or the browser i use...

The Airport seems to work nicelly (it says it is active, and it appears with a tiny green spot on the connections list), however when i start the browsers, i get a message that says that there is no connection to the internet.

Has anyone been through this before?

BTW: the PCs still work well...