Error copying to USB drive connected to Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by speedwaygirl, May 10, 2010.

1. speedwaygirl macrumors member

speedwaygirl

I'm at my wits end and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a Seagate 500 drive (formatted in FAT32) connected to my Airport Extreme via USB. I can copy (albeit slowly) from my Alum. MacBook to the drive without any issues. :D

My Dell C521 Windows XP PC can see the drive, connect to the drive, and copy to the drive, somewhat.... It will copy approximately 900MB - 1.2GB of a file and then I get this message: "Error copying file or folder - Cannot copy [insert file name]: The specified network name is no longer available". :mad:

A hint as to what is causing the problem would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

What size file are you trying to copy onto the external hard drive?

3. speedwaygirl thread starter macrumors member

speedwaygirl

They vary in size from about 1GB - 2.5GB. I know that I can't copy anything over 4GB, so I'm just trying to store my AVI files on there.

Thanks for your help, stridemat.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

That was going to be my suggestion. Can you plug the external hard drive into the Windows Machine and then copy the files? I know this is not ideal, but at least it will tell us if there is a problem with the Airport Extreme.

5. speedwaygirl thread starter macrumors member

speedwaygirl

Yes, that's where the drive was before. It was connected to the PC itself and was not a problem. I've got a bevy of drives floating around and am trying to spread them out between machines.

Now I copied about 50 GB to the drive from my 13" MacBook yesterday and had no problem. It's very slow (took most of the day/evening), but no errors.

This morning I got the instructions (from MacRumors of course!) to connect the PC to the drive, and started copying. It can see the drive, and it starts to copy but then always gets that error message.

I wasn't sure if it might be a settings issue, a Windows issue, etc. I have two Mac laptops and two PC's in the house, so it would be nice to be able to copy to/from the drive with Windows, too.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Sorry, Im out of ideas. Hopefully someone chips in with some words of advice.

7. speedwaygirl thread starter macrumors member

speedwaygirl

Well thanks for your help, anyway! My worst case scenario will be to just use the Mac for the drive. I just trying not to keep plugging and unplugging the hard drive, as that's how I broke the last Lacie.

Just wish my PCs and Macs would play nicely together!

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member