Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Well, I've been running Yosemite for a little less than a week.

I just got over the ridiculous iPhoto problem with .NEF files but smooth sailing since then.

I was in the middle of using the computer and it suddenly went to a gray screen and rebooted like a kernel panic without it explicitly stating it was a kernel panic.

Now it takes forever to boot and never does get to the finder.

If I do a command-r at boot I can get to the recovery partition and when attempting a disk repair I get:

Verify and repair volume "Macintosh HD"
Repairing File System
File System check exit code is 8.
Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.
Error: Disk Utility can't repair this disk - back up as many of your files as possible, and restore your backed-up files.

UGH.

I can't mount the drive to back any data up (I have most of the data, just not all of it).

This OS is the buggiest yet. This drive was replaced under Apple's program in 2013 for recalled Seagate hard drives. Looks like the drive is iffy or the OS is iffy.

I found a blogger that ran in to this issue and he just nuked the internal drive and started from scratch but I'd prefer not to do that.

I was hoping to recover some additional data - anyone have any additional recommendations?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
This drive was replaced under Apple's program in 2013 for recalled Seagate hard drives. Looks like the drive is iffy or the OS is iffy.

My money is on the drive, no guarantee that Seagate provided better drives for the recall than were originally failing...

Plus all your symptoms look like a drive failure...

PS I'd never trust a drive that has failed in this way, reformatting <may> resolve it but if the drive surface has low enough integrity to let this happen I wouldn't trust data to it.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Latest

I booted off a drive I built for the wife's computer that actually has a real failing drive but managed to get the drive to mount and am backing the
entire internal drive to my 5TB array.

I'm going to try reformatting and reinstalling on that drive again but yeah, it does seem to be like the drive is iffy.

Problem is Apple charges a fortune to swap drivea and opening the thing is
like a chinese puzzle box where you need to have special tools to get into the damned thing.

yashrg

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
I just got the same error message about my external WD Mybook studio duo(I'm not sure, names have gotten so confusing) drive that is being used as time machine backup.

"File system check exit code is 8
Disk utility cannot repair this disk…"

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… This OS is the buggiest yet. …

I should not blame Yosemite.

… I'd never trust a drive that has failed in this way …

… it does seem to be like the drive is iffy …

Related

… hard drive recoveryddrescue first

How to install ddrescue …

Advice

Recover what you can then diagnose and test the drive before attempting to reuse it.

For diagnosis and testing, Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) includes an excellent utility, hdat2.

… the same error message …

Exit code 8 is insufficient to tell whether the file system inconsistency is similar, or the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.