Error in internet recovery

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Jan 28, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hi, I erased the SSD and tried to reinstall Mac OS on my rMBP 15". My wifi router cannot be found. Sometimes there was an earth photo with a big ! mark. Then, under it, it states: apple.com/support -2006F

If I pressed option, I got a flashing folder with a ? in it.

What should I do next?

2. barbu macrumors regular

barbu

Have you tried holding Cmd-R after the startup chime?

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

About the screens you see when your Mac starts up: https://support.apple.com/HT204156

You pressed Option during startup (select a startup disk) - Flashing folder with question-mark means the Mac can't find a bootable operating system. Since you erased the SSD, that's no surprise.

The spinning globe can indicate you're trying to start in Internet Recovery (Command-Option-R). If you erased the entire SSD (not just the Macintosh HD partition), the Mac will automatically try to start Internet Recovery. An exclamation mark indicates a problem with Internet Recovery. If your wifi network can't be located, use Ethernet. Ethernet is generally faster and more reliable for recovery, anyway.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try opening up your wifi (with no password) and see if that helps. Internet recovery cannot handle certain kinds of wifi.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Look halfway down this link.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I tried both Cmd-R and option approach.

No internet at home and school's network (both wifi and Ethernet) requires choosing the router. Then, enter userid and password before I could connect to the net.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is your issue right there. You are gong to need to get on a network that meets the specs on the list at that link. You school wifi is not going to work with its present setup.

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Does the free wifi service in Apple Stores work?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... that outta do it.