Error In Loading DLL - Office 2004, 10.4.11

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SkippyThorson, Oct 21, 2009.

1. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

So I have Office on my iBook, and when I try to open an Excel, it gives me that message - Error In Loading DLL. I saw a year old thread on this but didn't wanna get shot for resurrecting it. So... Any ideas?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

To start with, have both Office and Excell been updated with all available updates (if you don't have the Office update checker running automatically, you can launch it from the Help menu of Excel or any other Office app).

Second, do you get this error when just opening Excel directly, or only when opening some particular .xls files? If the latter, I'm going to guess they have some add-on feature that isn't supported on the Mac. If the former, we'll go from there.

3. SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Yes, they are updated, with both of the AutoUpdaters that are on my computer. Not sure why. One from Office one from Media Player maybe.

Anyway, I created a file in Excel on my Mac, and ever since, opening it or any other reason for Excel to open gives this same error. It won't open what I want it to when it does it, but opening the same thing again after clicking OK lets me open it.

It's not really a big problem, just a curiosity now.

(Both Updaters-)

Attached Files:

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, the second updater (the one on the left) is installed with Office 2008, if you have it, or the OpenXML converter, which is probably where you got it. Media Player (I assume you mean Flip4Mac, but the old one too) don't use the same update mechanism.

As for what's going on, I don't have much of a clue, other than to think either a default template got screwed up or, more likely, that something in your Excel install got hosed. Deleting everything Office 04 related you can find and reinstalling from the original discs would probably fix it, if you wanted to go that far.