Error Installing Mavericks from Bootable USB

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by swwack91, Oct 27, 2013.

1. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

I created a bootable Mavericks USB stick to reformat a laptop. After backing up all of my data, I booted the laptop from the USB stick and reformatted the laptop's internal drive. I then used the OS X utitility to try to install Mavericks. After running the installer for about 40 minutes, a screen came up saying that there was an error and that I should contact the software's manufacturer.

Even though the installation seems to have failed, it did created a 10.9 recovery partition on the internal drive that I can boot into. When I boot into that partition, there's an Install OS X option where it downloads the remaining Mavericks resources. When that's downloading, it says that the computer will restart automatically. After the download completed, it did not restart. Nothing happened.

Ideas?

I'm trying to get any version of OS X installed at this point. I had a bootable Lion DVD, but the laptop keeps spitting out that DVD and won't boot from it. I'm attempting to make a Lion bootable USB but keep having issues with that as well.

2. Mac.User macrumors 6502

Hold Command+Option+R and install OSX from there if it's a newer machine.

3. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Like I said, I've already tried to install via downloading from a Recovery Partition. The download completes and then nothing happens.

4. Mac.User macrumors 6502

That doesn't install from the partition that's Option R, the command I gave installs from the internet.

Boot from the internet, format your drive and then install OSX fro the internet.