"Error Invalid Number" sending texts

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by alangore, May 16, 2011.

1. alangore macrumors newbie

Suddenly my 3GS is having problems sending texts. For many correspondents in my Contacts, the text app is erroring out with response +1 121611611, "Error Invalid Number..." I have looked this message up and it is supposed to be caused by texting to a number with an area code.

All of the erroring numbers have area codes, but the error message always prefixes a 1 to the number, as though the number were being dialed from a landline. All of my Contacts numbers are in standard 10-digit form, and when I tap the number link in the error message, it voice-calls the proper number.

Has anyone else been getting this?

2. ctreelmom macrumors newbie

It's happening to me too, but I live in CT and I only have the problem when trying to text people in NJ--both 201 and 908 area codes.

3. kaifs macrumors member

do you have sms client of some sort installed? if so check and see what formatting it is using. also Settings-General-Inernational - is it set to United States? lastly, Settings-Phone: your number is in +1 (xxx) xxx-xxxx format and International Assist is switched to OFF?