Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mudger

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
I just installed my sisters imac (g5 isight) on my parents network and for some reason it wont load certain websites: ticketfast.com, myspace and other random web sites.

There is no firewall or blocker enabled. The PC in the other room on the same network is able to connect to all websites so its the mac.

Any help?

mudger

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
What happens when you try to connect? Is there any error message?

yea it says "unable to connect, check your connection blah blah"

so weird. It only does it with certain web pages and links.

Tried with Safari and Firefox, same result.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Go to System Preferences, click Network, double-click the networking method you're using (AirPort, Ethernet, etc), click on TCP/IP, and copy + paste the following into the "DNS Servers" box EXACTLY as shown:

Tell us if that solves any issues. If it does, a further explanation by myself will follow.

mudger

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
Go to System Preferences, click Network, double-click the networking method you're using (AirPort, Ethernet, etc), click on TCP/IP, and copy + paste the following into the "DNS Servers" box EXACTLY as shown:

Tell us if that solves any issues. If it does, a further explanation by myself will follow.

Didn't seem to solve anything :(

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Okay, how about this one:

System Preferences -> Network -> Select the interface -> TCP/IP -> Configure IPv6 (near bottom) -> Configure IPv6 OFF.

If that doesn't work, then in the TCP/IP tab, click assist me at the bottom and run the network diagnostics. Come back and say which, if any, bubbles were not green.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Then it's not a DNS issue.

It's more likely that something is actively blocking those sites.

Is the PC using a proxy? Is it hooked up to the router in the same way (wired/wirelessly)? You're 100% sure that there's no content filtering on the router or on the Mac? Did you set up the Mac out of the box, or did your parents set it up first and then hand it to you to install?

mudger

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
There is no filtering

PC is connected wirelessly just as the Mac is.

I installed the mac which is a hand me down from me ( i have a C 2 D ). I did a clean install of OSX so there are no werid apps screwing with the connection.

All bubbles were green with network assist.

mudger

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
If you haven't rebooted in a while, you might as well run software update and get the thing up to date as well....

I've rebooted

first thing i did once it was connected was software update it.

cant figure this problem out for the life of me. Makes no sense.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Is it consistently true that the websites involved don't work, like you can keep hitting Apple-R and you get the same thing, over and over again? Or is it that they frequently don't work? Is it possible that it's a weak wireless connection?

mudger

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
1. Yes if i refresh it still gives me a "cannot connect error."

2. Not a weak connection as I have 3 little bar thingies on my airport symbol.

3. Only 1 user on this computer (admin).

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
What are you connecting to? What kind of router/dsl/etc.? I think it may be a router/dsl/etc. issue instead of a computer issue. If one can connect, but the other can't, but everything checks on the Mac, it has to be a router/dsl/etc. software issue. Give us the specs and run down on that ok?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.