Error message I've never seen....help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RoscoeUA, May 23, 2009.

1. RoscoeUA macrumors member

RoscoeUA

My MacBook is plugged in, iPhone is in the USB port closet to me...

[​IMG]

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

Sounds like you need to buy a powered USB hub ( make sure it comes with the AC cord ) this should fix your problem

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

reset SMC and PRAM. sometimes it can be a fluke that just needs to be reset. i got that msg once when all that was plugged in was an external mouse.

4. olliea95 macrumors regular

olliea95

Definitely looks like the USB port needs power, especially as you have an iPhone plugged in. Although, if it is into your MacBook directly, it should be powered, if so, follow above advice on resetting the stuff.

5. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

That happens to me when I attempt to use my USB ports on my PCI cards to recharge my Helio either use a built in usb that can handle more than 500 milliamps power or use a powered usb hub as suggested if your built ins cannot allow more than a 500mAh draw the the powered hub is the only safe bet.

6. Whitefang8355 macrumors newbie

Also make sure if its like a big USB or extra keyboard and mouse to have your charger plugged into your computer and charging. Because some things like my iPod or iPhone won't charge if my computer isn't plugged into the wall, and i have gotten that message before from my USB drives and extra keyboard.

7. msevild macrumors regular

Assuming you have nothing else but the iPhone plugged DIRECTLY into the MacBook read ahead. Restart the machine, see if issue is resolved. If possible try another iPhone/iPod USB cable, see if issue persists. If none of the above resolves the issue look inside the dock connector on the iPhone to see if there is any signs of corrosion dut to liquid or moisture(will look green). If this is good and it is the 1st gen phone, look in the headphone jack to see if the liquid submersion indicator has been tripped. If it is the iPhone 3G, check the indicators in the headphone jack and beneath the dock connector. If neither have turned pink, check the warranty status at apple.com/support. If you are still under warranty, bring the iPhone in to a local Apple Store or call 1-800-APL-CARE for support. The USB charge chip on your iPhone is most likely defective. Let me know if you have any other questions.

8. RoscoeUA thread starter macrumors member

RoscoeUA

Restarting my MacBook seemed to do the trick. I checked my phone for the indicators and say nothing pink so I assume I safe in that arena.