Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohhs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
i want a fresh install of my jailbroken ios 5.0.0 (not 5.0.1) so i have the ispw which i choose from itunes to restore from but it gives me the error message "this device isn't eligable for the requested build" i know for 5.0.1 you delete a host file but i have no idea how to restore to 5.0.0 without getting around the error message. does anyone know how i can reinstall ios 5.0.0 without having to update to ios 5.0.1??

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You cannot reinstall iOS 5.0.0. Even with saved SHSH blobs. Apple changed the way the SHSH blobs work in iOS 5, so that they can only be used once.

ohhs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
hmm two weeks ago i was able to reinstall ios 5.0.0 without a problem i guess ill have to wait until theres a fix. i only need to reinstall ios 5 because my phone has been randomly rebooting on its own like once or twice a day and then getting stuck in semi tethered mode until i get to a computer

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
Hmmm this really sucks then... that means if you are jailbroken on any version of iOS now (lets say 5.0 when untethered comes out just for example) then if something happens and your phone becomes unusable needing a restore... you are now hooped and have to go to 5.0.1 which means no jailbreak. (I already had that happen once, I installed something off Cydia which really crashed good... requiring a restore and re-jailbreak. This will make that impossible... in other words, REALLY make sure what you install is compatible because you only have ONE chance!

Apple are really trying to stop jail breaking aren't they?? :( I fear my iPhone days are now numbered. Unless Apple comes out with a USABLE today screen format on the lock screen which includes weather and calendar entries (they already have the setting there to show calendar on lock screen... why can't they just tweak a little bit more to allow 'today's appointments' and current weather???) ... then I might stay if they add those. But I NEED Lock Info :( or a suitable replacement, or I will have to leave... probably to Android which I fear has fewer good apps and less support, but at least I can see all my info at a glance.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
hmm two weeks ago i was able to reinstall ios 5.0.0 without a problem i guess ill have to wait until theres a fix. i only need to reinstall ios 5 because my phone has been randomly rebooting on its own like once or twice a day and then getting stuck in semi tethered mode until i get to a computer

That's because at the time Apple was still signing iOS 5.0.0.

Hmmm this really sucks then... that means if you are jailbroken on any version of iOS now (lets say 5.0 when untethered comes out just for example) then if something happens and your phone becomes unusable needing a restore... you are now hooped and have to go to 5.0.1 which means no jailbreak. (I already had that happen once, I installed something off Cydia which really crashed good... requiring a restore and re-jailbreak. This will make that impossible... in other words, REALLY make sure what you install is compatible because you only have ONE chance!

You can still restore to iOS 4.3.5 and below without any problem as long as you have your SHSH blobs.

Last edited by a moderator:

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
You can still restore to iOS 4.3.5 and below without any problem as long as you have your SHSH blobs.

I recently tried to restore to 4.2.x after upgrading to 5.01 and it gives me the same "not eligible" error. I did save the blobs using TinyUmbrella but I don't know how it comes to play when restoring.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I recently tried to restore to 4.2.x after upgrading to 5.01 and it gives me the same "not eligible" error. I did save the blobs using TinyUmbrella but I don't know how it comes to play when restoring.

It should work. You probably didn't setup or activate TinyUmbrella correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.