Error message with 16GB DIMMS in 2009 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by i-rui, Jul 7, 2013.

1. i-rui macrumors member

Hi,

I have a 4,1 Mac Pro (2009 model). I recently ordered 64 GB of OWC RAM (4X16GB). The RAM arrived on friday, so i decided to run the Apple Service Diagnostics (ASD version: 3S132) on the RAM to see if everything was ok. It passed all the tests, with the exception of the SMBIOS tests. These are the error messages :

Now my thinking was the error messages popped up because the 2009 Mac Pro was never officially supported by apple to accept 16GB DIMMs, and when the SMBIOS runs the self check it just can't reconcile the large size of the DIMM.

I called up OWC and shared my thoughts with their tech support. My agent said he never heard of that problem, after i told him my hypothesis he spoke to another agent and said his colleague agrees with my thinking.

I just find it strange that all my google searches turn up nothing on this scenario. I would think it would be a common occurrence with everyone who has upgraded their RAM past spec.

The one actual google search result that i did find was on the apple forums, and the consensus was the RAM was bad.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2738395?start=0&tstart=0

So i'm not sure if my hypothesis is correct, or if OWC tech support was just placating me.

I should mention that i haven't experienced any trouble with the system so far, and that i just have the 4 16GB DIMMs (no matching with other sticks).

Anyone here have any 16GB DIMMs in their Mac Pros? Ever get that SMBIOS error?

2. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

i've never run that on my machine, and I have yet to have a crash (same setup - 4,1, 64gb ram in 4 16 gb chips. flashed to 5,1 though.

i dont see a reason to look for problems :D

3. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

This is ASD bug with 16GB DIMMs. Not memory itself. Ignore it.

4. i-rui thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys.

Weird that there isn't much info about this around the net and I would've thought most people run various memory tests when they drop in new RAM.

I also placed a 5870 in my Mac Pro and ran the ASD (the OS version as the EFI version won't show any video controller tests with the 5870). Every video test failed with the 5870. I'm guessing that it's because there won't be any drivers for the 4,1 ASD.

Perhaps if i flash the Mac Pro to 5,1 the ASD tests will become more current?