Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ImShane

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2007
Hi guys,

I hope you can help me with this one, every time i start up my mac book i get these pop ups and there are about 20 of them one after another its so annoying, how do i get rid of them. here is a pic of one of the messages.

fff.jpg

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
You seem more worried about the notifications than the fact that some of your system files are corrupt.:p

If you run the OS installer disk again I believe it'll fix it without removing any of your files. I accidentally deleted Time Machine the day after I got Leopard and I just ran the installer again and my system was perfect afterwards. I didn't have to redo anything. Might be a good idea to back up your personal files before trying it though.

ImShane

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2007
You seem more worried about the notifications than the fact that some of your system files are corrupt.:p

If you run the OS installer disk again I believe it'll fix it without removing any of your files. I accidentally deleted Time Machine the day after I got Leopard and I just ran the installer again and my system was perfect afterwards. I didn't have to redo anything. Might be a good idea to back up your personal files before trying it though.

erh, backing up about 400+gb of music is going to be allot of hassel :( thanks tho, if someone else knows of anything else let me know :) what is a .kext file anyway?

ImShane

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2007
can someone help me please cuz i cant find my installation disc, what is a .kext file? im pretty sure if its that i can sort it.

cheers

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
Hi guys,

I hope you can help me with this one, every time i start up my mac book i get these pop ups and there are about 20 of them one after another its so annoying, how do i get rid of them. here is a pic of one of the messages.

fff.jpg

Is is it always the same message for all the messages? (If not I need a complete list) Did you install HP drives of your own? Have you booted into safe mode to see if the problem goes away? What is your precise OS version? What third party hardware are you using (printers etc.)?

erh, backing up about 400+gb of music is going to be allot of hassel :( thanks tho, if someone else knows of anything else let me know :) what is a .kext file anyway?

So you don't backup?

Hard drives are 100% guaranteed to fail, you are pretty much asking to loose all your data if you don't backup. Not backing up is horrible idea especially since a 1TB HD is so cheap these days and Time Machine makes the process automatic. Nobody has an excuse for not backing up or right to complain about lost data if they don't backup. Sorry about the rant but this is a pet peeve of mine.

can someone help me please cuz i cant find my installation disc, what is a .kext file? im pretty sure if its that i can sort it.

cheers

A .kext file is a kernel extension file and you need them. If you have .kext issues it is typically from bad installs or bad third party software and in the worst case major OS corruption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.