Error sending SMS messages - UPDATED STILL NOT WORKING

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ARK, Dec 13, 2008.

1. ARK macrumors 6502

Ever since the 2.2 update Ive had problems sending text messages. Simply I hit send and the progess bar gets to about 20% and says error sending message. Is anyone else having this problem and have a fix? I did a search on apple's discussion boards and several people have the same issue. They tried the normal things with no luck - restore, setup new phone, reset, etc.

2. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

It may be a problem with your Phone Service provider. What network are you on?

3. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm on At&t. Also I can receive text messages but not send.

4. ArtursBoy macrumors member

Have they tried replacing the SIM card? it should only take a minute at any ATT store

5. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

No they haven't. I just started troubleshooting it. I'm doing a restore now.

Since I'm doing a restore iTunes is downloading 2.2 again. Why does it have to download the 2.2 update if it already has 2.2 installed? I took my apps off the phone from within iTunes but some of the apps didn't delete from my phone. I had to delete them from the phone myself - weird.

6. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

Update

Well I did a reset and a restore last night with no luck. I went to at&t today and they put in a new SIM card. Still no luck. They told me to call 1800-my-iphone. I called and the apple rep thinks the outgoing text message number is wrong since I can receive messages but not send/reply. She transfers me over to an at&t tech who has me turn it off several times as he updates our account to get the text messages to work. Still no luck. He thinks that since the at&t store gave me the new SIM card that I have to wait a couple hours since my account is still trying to update from the new SIM number. He thinks it should be fixed once that resolves itself. I asked to get transfered back to Apple to have them give me a case number opened and I got cut off. Hopefully it will fix itself in a couple hours. As of right now though I still cant send SMS messages - though I can receive them.

7. ArtursBoy macrumors member

Hmm this is a strange problem, I've seen replacing the SIM card work for others. The apple rep could be right, your sms center number could be wrong (replacing the SIM card should have corrected the number).

You could call back AT&T and have them check your sms center number and correct it if necessary. Or you could get the sms center number from them and enter the following on your iphone (as if you were about to dial a regular phone number):

*5005*7672*+NNNNNNNNNNN# then hit SEND

( NNNNNNNNNNN = the message center number. Dont forget the + sign before the number )

Alternatively, if you have another AT&T phone laying around, you can try removing the SIM card from your iPhone and inserting it in that other phone and see if you can send and receive text messages. That should help figure out if its a problem with your phone or with the network.

8. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

I called back last night and still no luck. The at&t rep had me do exactly what you said twice - the *5005... number. I even changed SIMS with my wifes Motorola SLVR and still no luck. Apple rep made me an appt. Wed. to try my sim in a new iphone. If my SIM works in a new iphone and I can send a text then I get a new phone.

9. ahypnoz macrumors newbie

Ditto: Also having problems sending text messages

I have also had problems sending text messages. I can receive but not send. I hit send and the progess bar gets to about 20% and says error sending message. Does anyone have the fix?
    I have also tried restore, reset, and taken the sim card in and out?
    I spent an hour with at&t as well as apple with no luck. At&t is suppose to call back ....still waiting.

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

11. ahypnoz macrumors newbie

error sending message

No, irealsms is not installed.

Still getting error sending message

At&t was going to call me back with an answer.....still waiting

I have version 2.2

12. djuarez03 macrumors regular

So did anyone find a solution for this? I'm having the same problem now!! I could really use some help.

13. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

A visit to the Genius bar and a new iPhone solved my problem.

14. ahypnoz macrumors newbie

sms message problem

Apple's iPhone 2.2.1 Update fixed the sms message problem

15. terryreid macrumors newbie

SMS text message will not go through for one contact

I have had this problem with three contacts in the last year. two seconds after the bar shows it sent I get a message from AT&T
    275-7525 Please re-send using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code. It is the correct ten digit number the phone will make and receive calls as well as receive her texts to me just won't send. The last time I had to delete the contact restart the phone and computer create a new contact and it works this time it will not work no matter what I try anyone got any ideas. Terry

trstahly@gmail.com