Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Whenever I try to transfer a very large file on my intel iMac (in the 4GB and up range) to a USB drive I get "Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred (Error code -1309)." What's wrong with it?

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
max_altitude said:
I believe if it has been formatted to FAT 32, then there is a limit to the file size of around 4 GB.
Bingo.

If the file is >= 4GB, you have to format to HFS+ (or NTFS, but OS X can't write to NTFS).

Alternatively, you could find some way to split the file and store it in pieces.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I was using my iPod as the external hard drive and it was formatted to FAT32. Any way that I can get my 6GB file onto it? I don't want to split it, because linux will need to read it.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
iBookG4user said:
I was using my iPod as the external hard drive and it was formatted to FAT32. Any way that I can get my 6GB file onto it? I don't want to split it, because linux will need to read it.

What kind of file is it? Is compression an option?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Linux can read HFS+ disks, can't it? I'm pretty sure than when I was installing Fedora Core 5 onto my x86 box I read something about HFS+ support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.