Error trying to backup HD via disk image

Discussion in 'macOS' started by munckee, May 4, 2008.

1. munckee macrumors 65816

I'm trying to create a disk image of my hard drive in preparation for moving to a new computer. I have it backed up via Time Machine as well, but wanted to make sure I had everything securely backed up and moved before reformating my old machine.

Every time I try to create a disk image (to an external FW drive) via the disk utility, it seems to start, then a moment later gives me this error:

[​IMG]

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Is there any easier way to accomplish this?

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

for this to work, you have to boot the Mac using the system disk and run the Disk Utility from there. Is this what you're doing?

3. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah, no. Had no idea. Seems odd that it would give me the option to do it from the computer itself, but not actually work.

I have leopard installed on the machine; I assume I can/should use the leopard disk to accomplish this? Pardon my lack of knowledge here, but once I've booted from the system disk (restart holding "C", right?) what do I click on?

4. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

hang on...lemme try this out so I can tell you exactly how to do it. It's the kinda thing I've done a bunch but I can't remember the specifics because I've done it so much...

5. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

ok
    yes, hold "C" on startup

first thing you should see is the window asking you which language you want to use. Select "English" and hit enter.

next thing you'll see is the welcome to OSX Installer. Up at the top, in the Finder bar, you'll see a menu called Utilities. Click on that, and select Disk Utility.

when the Disk Utility window opens, highlight the drive you want to make an image of. Once the drive is highlighted, go up to File>New

the File>New menu should have an option that lets you create an image from the drive you have highlighted.

it's pretty straightforward. You shouldn't have much trouble.

6. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

Perfect, thanks! I'll give it a shot.

7. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

you bet. One note: I did this with a Tiger startup disk. Leopard might be a little different, but not so much that you won't recognize what you're doing.