Error updating itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheGambler, Mar 10, 2011.

1. TheGambler macrumors newbie

Hey guys this is my first post, not sure if this is the right sub-forum or not, but here's my issue:

I am running 10.5.8 and am trying to update itunes from 9.2 to the newest current version and keep getting this message:

The update “iTunes” can’t be installed.

The Installer could not install some files in “/”. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

I have done my own research and have come up empty so I hope someone here can help.

Thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. TheGambler thread starter macrumors newbie

GGJ- I am the administrator on my machine and it said "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK." when I ran the disk repair.

Any other ideas LOL? This is driving me nuts...

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Repairing permissions is NOT the same as repairing the disk.

5. TheGambler thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks wizard i think you may be on to something. This is what I got:

First Aid failed

Disk Utility stopped repairing permissions on “Macintosh HD” because the following error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit.

Any remedies for this? Sorry for all the questions, Im rather inexperienced with this...

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A little troubleshooting tip: Whenever you get an error message of any kind, try a Google search for the exact text of the error message. Many times, it will lead you directly to the answer you seek:

Disk Utility reports "Underlying task reported failure" when repairing a volume