Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

untypoed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I've been wanting to nondestructively partition my Emac harddrive for a while so I can have both OSX Panther and OSX Tiger. I am currently using the latest version of OSX Tiger.. 10.4.11. I tried diskutil, and I received an error when I tried to do "diskutil resizeVolume disk0s10 limits".. Disk0s10 was right next to "Apple_HFS Macintosh HD /dev/disk1" with a 38.0 GB size when I did a "diskutil list".. I had an error that said:

Error obtaining resizing information
Resizing encountered error Could not modify partition map (-9986) on disk disk0s10 Macintosh HD

Then I tried disk0 instead of 0s10, which was right next to "Apple_partition_scheme" that had a 38.2 GB size.. I got:

Volume format does not support resizing.

Before I did this, I disabled Journaling just in case that would help. But here's a fun fact: This was my third time attempting this, and first time that I disabled Journaling. So that had nothing to do with it. Some nice facts about my Emac is that it's the 700mhz model. I can't read or write DVDs, but I can read and write CDs. I tried ipartition, but to burn it on a CD required a DVD or a backup drive.. or a magical CD that has a size of over 2GB. I have no external harddrive or a USB flash drive. I feel screwed.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Im not sure if you can actually resize system partitions in Tiger. AFAIK that capability was only added in 10.5 Leopard (which will run on your eMac, as I have it on my eMac/700).

untypoed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Hmm.. Is Leopard running well on your Emac? I'm thinking of installing it with Leopardassist..

Hal Itosis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2010
Im not sure if you can actually resize system partitions in Tiger. AFAIK that capability was only added in 10.5 Leopard (which will run on your eMac, as I have it on my eMac/700).

The ability was added in Tiger 10.4.6, but (i believe) any volume to be [non-destructively] resized would itself need to have been *originally* initialized (formatted/partitioned) with the corresponding updated version of Disk Utility (i.e., Disk Utility v10.5.5 or higher).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.