Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esbenhardt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
I can't access my iDisk.

I have Tiger 10.4.11 - I keep getting the error "Volume for iDisk cannot be found" when I try to access it through the Finder, and it doesn't pop up on my Desktop either? Somebody offered me the good guess that it is a problem with 10.4.11 (which doesn't get upgraded anymore..), and that it was related to the fact that iDisk has changed name to MobileMe. Can anyone enlighten me?

Some facts:
I can sync with iDisk through System Preferences > iDisk.
If I go "Go > iDisk > My iDisk nothing happens.
If I go "Go > iDisk > Other User's iDisk" I type my username and password, I get"Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)".
I have NOT repaired the disk permissions. Is that necessary?
I have unclicked the iDisk icon and clicked it again within Finder Prefs.
I have NOT deleted com.apple.sidebarlists.plist. Is that necessary?

I CAN log into my Public folder via the web using http://www.me.com/idisk.
I have disabled my Firewall so that there are no issues with it while trying to locate the error.

Why can I not get this to work?

Some further info:
Apple's support website write the following, which I cannot get to work SEE MY COMMENTS IN CAPITAL LETTERS?

If you’re using a Mac with Mac OS X version 10.4.11 or later, from your desktop choose Go > iDisk, and then choose My iDisk from the submenu.
This mounts your iDisk on your desktop, so you can work with it as you would any other hard disk. NOTHING HAPPENS. NO DISK IS MOUNTED ON THE DESKTOP.
You can also access your iDisk directly from the Save or Open dialog in Mac OS X applications (but not Classic applications), or by clicking the iDisk icon in a Finder window toolbar. WHEN I CLICK THE IDISK ICON IN THE FINDER WINDOW THEN I GET THE ABOVE MENTIONED ERROR TEXT "Volume for iDisk cannot be found".

One way that it does work though is this:
Using a web browser, go to http://www.me.com, log in, and then click the iDisk icon at the top of the window. You can also type http://www.me.com/idisk in your browser. THIS WORKS. AFTER ENTERING MY NAME AND PASSWORD I JUMP RIGHT TO THE IDISK CONTENT, AND I CAN UPLOAD TO THE PUBLIC FOLDER VIA THE POP-UP WINDOW. WEIRD, OR WHAT? BUT ALSO I CANNOT UPLOAD VIDEOFILES FROM MY VIDEO DISKS CONTAINING LOGGED DV PAL (16:9) CLIPS.. I CAN HOWEVER UPLOAD COMPRESSED VIDEO FILES (*.MOV).. HOW CAN IT CENSUR CERTAIN TYPES OF FILES. A FILE IS A FILE, NO?!

Huge help if this one can be solved..........Thanks!

G5, Dual PowerPC G5, 2.3GHz, Model:powerMac11,2, 2,5GB RAM, OsX 10.4.11

Sherman Homan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Same thing happened to me when I was running Tiger. My iDisk would just plain vanish. The attempted fixes you mentioned didn't work for me either. The only way I found to bring it back was to restart or use Force Quit to relaunch the Finder. Annoying.
At some point after an unrelated problem related to millions of fonts (only a slight exaggeration!) I had to reinstall Tiger. My iDisk has been a constant companion ever since. Prolly not what you wanted to hear, but there it is!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.